Reel and Dive Marker Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grassyknoll

Contributor
Reaction score
Went for a quicky dive this weekend and decided to tow a dive bouy hooked onto a reel. I was mostly wanting to work on navigation so I clipped the reel onto a D-ring so I could focus on my compass. I had the reel clipped to a ring on my left side with the line running up off my left side. No real issues but I would occasionally hook the line with a fin buckle. I also had an issue on one descent where I had played out some extra line and I became somewhat entangled in it, was able to sort it out on the bottom and it was more a PITA than anything, but having never been entangled in anything, I got just the smallest hint of how horrible this could be. I had a knife and it was never an issue of even contemplating using it but it was an interesting experience.
So my question is, do you have a preferred way to wear your reel if you won't be holding it , is there a better direction to feed it of from, and if so what is your rationale.

I personally think it's a very bad idea to clip off a reel to my BCD with a anything depolyed at the same time. I like to have full control of the reel anytime I have my SMB deployed. That's why I prefer to have a wrist mounted compass while navigating. The only time I will ever clip off my reel to my BCD is when I'm boarding the boat, with a double ender securing all of the slack onto the reel.

First rule of using a reel (for me anyway): NEVER clip the reel to yourself if it is attached to anything on the surface. Always hold it in a hand.

It sounds like you had excess line out if your were getting tangled. I've been there, it's not fun. My suggestions if you are wanting to work on navigation skill while towing a float;
First, decend to the depth you want to stay at, or the depth of the destination. Example, you are going to a wreck that sits in 30 feet on the other side of the cove. The middle will be deeper, but you know the destination depth.
Next, descend to that depth, make sure there is no extra slack in the line (slack kills), then lock off the reel.
I hold the reel in my right hand, and my compass in the left. Swim along your azimuth to the destination. This also allows you to work on bouyancy at the same time. If you feel your arm pulling up, you've descended a bit, if you feel no pull on the reel, you've ascended.

FD

Give the reel to your dive buddy while you navigate?

Just to avoid any entanglment issues I would always anchor my float where I first descend & not drag it behind me while under. (For beach dives, I have an old inner tube with a round laundry basket tied beneath & a dive flagged afixed to it. This gives me something to throw my lobster bag in on the swim back to the beach.)

I figured having the reellipped on would invoke some strong feelings. To clarify, the only reason I had the reel clipped on is that I was in a restricted swim area of a lake with no boat traffic, there also were no other objects upon which to become entangled, submerged trees floating logs etc...In most any other situation I would have had the reel hand held. I had my wrist mounted compass strapped around my console and my light in other hand, I wasn't wearing my compass as I had my computer on my R wrist. From what everyone is saying, the consensus would be to reconfigure my setup so that I can hand-hold the reel.

I have tried to clip the reel to my person in different ways while trying to do stuff like hunting Lobster. However, I have almost always ended up tangled somehow, and therefore will only hold onto the reel. My buddy and I will switch back and forth depending on who has the free hand.

TOM

From what everyone is saying, the consensus would be to reconfigure my setup so that I can hand-hold the reel.

I think this would be your best option. There's just too much that can go wrong. It sounds like you got a little taste of that. It's a good question, but I think 99% of people would tell you to hold it in your hand.

Imagine being tied to all the kites you flew as a kid. We all know how easy it is to have those wrap around different things in the air. The only difference is instead of powerlines to worry about, you've got boats. I'd prefer to be able to let go

I don't clip it, never. Too many boaters see it as a slalom buoy.

Also unless you have good visibility and natural markers to hold a vector navigation and buoy duty don't mix well. You may have you body pointing in the right direction but the buoy can add some surprising shifts to your course between drag and surface currents.

I do keep a mash bag on my line keeper and will load it with a stone to leave the buoy in a stationary position. How useful this is depends on where yu are diving, the regulations and so forth. I do keep a DSMB and finger spool with me in case I need to come up in an insecure area.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom