Man Kisses Shark. Shark Bites Man

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Tiburon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Following is an article I found on divester.com. This guy is a candidate for this year's Darwin awards.

Man Kisses Shark. Shark Bites Man.

This may be one of the all-time, stupidest things I've ever heard. And I've heard of divers doing lots of dumb stuff. However, last month, Dave Marcel was diving in the waters off Key Largo and did the unthinkable: he decided to kiss a nurse shark. I guess the shark just wanted to be friends, though, because it responded by biting Marcel's face, leaving him with a severely damaged lip that required extensive reconstructive surgery. To add insult to injury, the blood from the attack attracted snappers, who immediately swam up and helped themselves to a few nibbles, too. According to the cosmetic surgeon who patched Marcel, "Dave's lip looked like it had been put through a meat grinder or a garbage disposal." Ouch! If you can't imagine what the kiss-cum-bite must've looked like, it's all on video.

Why on earth would someone want to kiss a shark? Well, Marcel claims he's kissed sharks "hundreds of times " before: "You kind of pick them up, rub their belly, scratch them, hug them. You might as well give them a smooch while you're out there." Right. Surprisingly, it doesn't sound like Marcel has learned his lesson, either. According to him, his personal guidelines for the future will limit his shark-kissing to when the fish is NOT upside down. As though THAT were the problem.

Do I even need to ask what you think about this story?

Sounds fishy to me.:D

I married a shark once and got more than a bit lip...

I once had a loan shark put the bite on me...no kissing was involved though.

Wonder if the shark is up-to-date on its shots!

You just can't go around kissing strangers. Ya gotta introduce yourself. Buy em a drink or three. Work your mojo before you go taking liberties. Geez. What the hell was he thinking?

and after all, when the shark says, "no", she means it guys! No means no!

Back
Top Bottom