A buddy with no Octo?

Would you dive *within recreational limits* with a buddy who has no Octo?

• Yes

Votes: 90 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 153 53.1%
  • I don't know

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • I'm antisocial, I don't want a buddy in the first place

Votes: 34 11.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Would you dive *within recreational limits* with a *trusted* buddy who did not have an Octo, Pony, or Independent doubles?

-Meaning, if you had an equipment failure or lapse in judgement causing yourself to have an OOA, you would have to buddy breath with your buddy or CESA.

Hey buddy, I am that person! :wink: I have two second stages, I just don't want to pay $45 for the splitter to put them both on my 1st stage, which doesn't have enough LP ports. I'm holding off until I have money in my bank account again.

I would on most dives at least with my regular buddy (my husband) as they still taught buddy breathing when we got certified.

CBulla:
Does the ScubaPro Air 2 Alternate Inflator regulator count as not having a back up?

Dove with a guy that had this as his octo, you would think it was no big deal,

HE WAS DIVING FFM!!! What do you think?

"I'm anti-social, I don't want a buddy in the first place" applies to the octo-less guy, not to those of us who end up diving with him. :)

I often solo dive a single tank without a pony, so my only concern about diving with a guy with just one 2nd stage has to do with the attitude or reasoning behind him not having an octo.

No octo may be a symptom of some underlying problem --- anti-social attitude, poor risk evaluation, or other sort of thing that would make him a bad buddy.

:wink: Well I am personally comfortable buddy breathing..

My reasoning for possibly going without an octo, is to remove as much excess equipment as possible.. while still scuba diving :wink:

I'm working on a travel setup for myself.. for mostly shallow reef.. 30-40 foot range.. 60 ft max..

The less stuff I have that can break, or have to pack.. the better :wink:

Right now the plan is a travel backplate, a hogarthian harness, AI hoseless computer, and a single first/second stage.... no buoyancy compensator, no octo, no pony.. Total travel weight not including mask/fins/wetsuit, about 4 pounds...
Things I'm carrying that can fail,.. first stage, regulator hose, second stage, computer..

It's not a cost issue, its a bare minimum as streamlined and lightweight as possible on scuba issue =)

I want to feel as free and unencumbered as possible..

Land Locked:
Dove with a guy that had this as his octo, you would think it was no big deal,

HE WAS DIVING FFM!!! What do you think?

As long as he donates his primary, LOL!

ScottB:
:wink: Well I am personally comfortable buddy breathing..

My reasoning for possibly going without an octo, is to remove as much excess equipment as possible.. while still scuba diving :wink:

I'm working on a travel setup for myself.. for mostly shallow reef.. 30-40 foot range.. 60 ft max..

The less stuff I have that can break, or have to pack.. the better :wink:

Right now the plan is a travel backplate, a hogarthian harness, AI hoseless computer, and a single first/second stage.... no buoyancy compensator, no octo, no pony.. Total travel weight not including mask/fins/wetsuit, about 4 pounds...
Things I'm carrying that can fail,.. first stage, regulator hose, second stage, computer..

It's not a cost issue, its a bare minimum as streamlined and lightweight as possible on scuba issue =)

I want to feel as free and unencumbered as possible..

Skip all that gear and just learn to freedive and hold your breath longer. :shakehead

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom