Certification vs Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sarahann

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hullo,
Am a recently PADI certified diver.Would like to ask, speaking from a recreational angle,

a) Is it better to build up certifications e.g move to advanced ->speciality->rescue diver etc. Or simple dive and gain experience?

b)Which certifications are relevant/better,PADI,CMAS? Not sure of the other certifications.Not able to find comparison material readily.

Thanks

Sarah

Sarahann:
Hullo,
Am a recently PADI certified diver.Would like to ask, speaking from a recreational angle,

a) Is it better to build up certifications e.g move to advanced ->speciality->rescue diver etc. Or simple dive and gain experience?

b)Which certifications are relevant/better,PADI,CMAS? Not sure of the other certifications.Not able to find comparison material readily.

Thanks

Sarah
a) Both are important - Diving, like most recreational activities, relies heavily on training your body to respond in certain ways to produce the desired results. We take classes to learn the proper techniques. Then we have to go out and dive in order to provide the repetitions required to develop the muscle memory our body needs to produce those responses. It's the same as with other sports, like skiing, golf, etc. ... you should come away from the class with a better idea of what constitutes better technique ... but then you need to get out there and practice the technique in order to get good at it. I'll add a third component ... mentorship. Those who are fortunate enough to hook up with more experienced dive buddies tend to learn faster, because their buddy provides feedback and coaching that helps them avoid developing bad habits while practicing.

b) You asked about certifications, but named agencies. They are not the same thing. Certifications that matter? I would say that after basic Open Water classes, the most important class you can take is Rescue ... because it focuses not just on what to do in an emergency, but more importantly, on how to recognize when a situation might ultimately lead to an emergency, so you can take action to avoid getting yourself into one. Advanced Open Water can be a good class, but that depends entirely on who's teaching it and how much effort they put into skills.

My advice on the first point is that after taking a class, get out and dive. Put some bottom time on your fins before signing up for the next class. Get comfortable with the things you learned ... then in your next class you can focus on the new skills you will be introduced to, rather than struggle with the ones you were supposed to have learned in the previous class.

My advice on the second point is to concentrate on finding an instructor who you are comfortable with, and who is putting real effort into what YOU want to learn. Don't get hung up on certification agencies ... there are good and bad instructors in all of them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I recently got my OW, and, after reading alot here on this subject, I've decided to get about 15 or 20 dives under my belt, then take AOW. Then I'll do some more dives, and see what I want to do at that point.

It seems like alot of new divers tend to jump into certifications just so they can A) continue to dive, and B) continue to dive with the confidence of having an instructor close by. I'll admit, my first non-instructor dive with just a regular dive buddy could have been a little nerve racking if I thought about it much. But it turned out great and made me feel like I actually learned what I was supposed to learn in OW.

In between courses I plan on taking a few specialties like drysuit diving, underwater navigating, and peak boyancy. These are affordable classes and don't take anytime and should prove to be alot of fun.

I can't speak specifically to different certifications, PADI is the only agency around my area that I know of.

The main thing is, dive as much as you can and learn as much as you can! It's just cheaper to gain experience then to keep taking courses!:D

I would say to think of diving like driving a car......Learn the basics & get certified but then get some real life experience "behind the wheel!"

Sarahann:
Hullo,

Thanks

Sarah
Sarah, certification and experience both important, dive more gain more experience.
Look for good reputation Instructor instead agencys, many Instructors have 2 to 3 agents

NWGratefulDiver:
My advice on the first point is that after taking a class, get out and dive. Put some bottom time on your fins before signing up for the next class. Get comfortable with the things you learned ... then in your next class you can focus on the new skills you will be introduced to, rather than struggle with the ones you were supposed to have learned in the previous class.

I think Bob said it well.

You are certified so go dive. Make dives that are within your training and comfort zone. You should be able to make these alone with peers, a mentor or a club or dive shop group, it really does not matter. Do whatever you need to do to keep your gear damp.

When you feel that you have a handle on the basics and want to stretch then the advanced course will expand your horizons. 1-2 dozen dives makes as much sense as anything. It's all about where you are in your progression.

Rescue diver will really close a lot of gaps in what I consider "thinking like a diver" and teaches you a lot about diving safer, preventing problems and dealing with them should they occur. It's a really good course to take. If you stop there you can be a very solid recreational diver. This is usually taken after AOW but some agencies do not have this as a requirement. My wife and I just did the course even though she's holding off on AOW. She found it very helpful, so did I.

For the most part all of these courses are available though any agency though the names and content will vary a bit. Finding an instructor that will really put you through your paces and transfer some knowldge is the key. Ask around, a lot!

Pete

You learn to dive by diving.
Classes are important, but they don't make you an instant expert. They do shorten the learning time and give you an idea what it is you need to learn.

Sarahann:
Hullo,

Thanks

Sarah

Experience is more important imo. Certifications are necessary (because otherwise they won't let you do certain dives), but only useful if you had a good instructor. There are a lot of courses out there that are either outright BS, or that you could learn on your own or with buddies, so try to find an instructor that will teach you to become a better diver in addition to certifying you. For example, drysuit courses can be useful, but you could also learn to dive dry on your own or with buddies at least as well as you could with a slightly below average instructor. Of course, a great instructor may teach you tips and tricks that they've gained over 100's or 1000's or dives and years of teaching.

What Bob said . . . But I'll add that there are some classes which are diving-experience independent but add value. Nitrox is one, and I took an absolutely fabulous Marine Life ID class from an instructor at our LDS, which enriched my enjoyment of my local dives immensely.

Not difficult to be certified - very unlikely somebody will fail on the short course regardless their capability. So, the instructur quality is very important probably more important than agency - except in France, what I heard PADI is not recognized.
In term of sylabus, IMHO, CMAS is more comprehensive but again depend on the instructur.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom