Coming back from a Scuba vacation...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
was a shock. We'd been diving for two weeks (25 dives) in Indonesia, warm water, AL80's, boat, pampered, etc. and then I came back to Puget Sound.

Well, last Sunday, after being out of the water for 10 (?) days, I did a simple shore dive -- in my drysuit, with my HP100, all my "home" diving stuff except my camera.

Now I don't have that many dives under my belt (this was about #140 since June of last year) but I was shocked at how nervous I was. For the first 15-20 minutes nothing felt right -- suit didn't feel right, tank/BC didn't feel right -- NOTHING felt right. I was VERY anxious.

So, my question for y'all is, how many of you feel the same way on your first (or second or third) dive "back home" -- especially if "back home" is WAY different from where you've been. And do you have any suggestions for making the "re-entry" less stressful?

well, we are ALL spoiled by tropical dives (at least for those of us who do not live in tropical areas). I know I can focus much more on my skills here in the northeast, whereas in the tropics, dives are generally easier and with less "stuff" required. I personally think nice Dives stifle scuba training. While they are amazingly fun and I would never hesitate to do them, 7mm of neoprene, a hood, gloves, tanks, bc's (or w/bp), cold water goodies, smb, reels, lights. you learn gear management, and to treat situations, and to PLAN!

i absolutely understand what you are talking about. Tropical diving is just a lot easier. I went diving here about a week after coming back from Fiji last year and nothing felt right. I can't say I was really nervous, but I found everything was bugging me. The gloves, the hood, the weights. Nothing felt right. I got used to it on the second dive, but that first dive was just a chore.

Hop in the pool with all that gear on before you get into your regularly scheduled diving routine--it'll help you get back into it.

Wait. Peter, did you say you _only_ had 140 dives since last June?!?

FWIW, I took 1 1/2 months off in the summer, and my first dive back was anything but smooth...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom