tank position, why not like firefighters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering why we dont position scuba tanks like firefighters position their tanks? if you are diving in a cave or wreck, i'm guessing it will be more protected from either falling objects or getting nocked off when the tank valve is toward your butt.

If you route it properly, it will be more water dynamic...what do you think?
J

It's a whole big list of a lot of better things-

But the major downside: It's hard to stand the tanks "upright". This is overcome by building them into a lightweight frame cage with square proportions on the "bottom".

It would also require longer hoses and would make taking off the BC/tank awkward after the dive.

Wouldn't it be simpler to put a protective cage over the tank valve to protect it?

The other day I was thinking the same thing, I was wondering why we don't wear our tanks valve downward. I can see how on a boat it could be problematic with all the tanks in a row, etc. And of course you would need some kind of stand to be able to put the bc on the tank in the first place, which would be a PITA

The only other real advantage I could see, aside from possibly the valve being safer in an overhead enviroment, though actually the way the valves turn this would be a disadvantage since you could roll closed the valve if you didn't change the orientation, is that it might make it slightly easier to reach the 1st stage with it downward, but this is easily corrected with some good stretching and exercises.

Mostly I wonder if the reason we keep the tanks the way we do is that is how it has been done, and thus that is how we all learn it and keep doing it. It might be fun to try this out one of these days, get longer hoses and see how the routing would work... hmm something to do something to do ...

I have heard of one or two cave divers setting up their rigs this way.

But if reaching your valves with the tanks configured conventionally is too difficult, you could always get really radical and sidemount two smaller tanks.

Coming from a firefighter, I don't buy into the storage argument. We store our bottles valve up, but when they are in a pack (BC for divers) They are stored in a large clip and resting on the valve. These could be easily integrated in any boat for efficient storage. Donning and doffing an SCBA pack is the same as a BC. There is the over the head technique or the jacket maneuver.
One major difference between SCBA bottles and dive tanks is that the first stage is not mounted on the bottle for SCBA bottles (at least not on the Scott Packs and MSA's that I have used) as it is for diving, and within a department each pack is the same, where as on a boat, you could have each diver with a different regulator.
Personally, I like accessing the valve underhanded rather than over the shoulder. I feel it gives me much more control, and in a fire you can often be called upon to have to change a bottle!

what is the purpose of building a protective cage around the valve? cant you still stand the tanks up like normal exept then the bc would be upside down but so what?

I think it might be better that way too.....if I could get some intergrated pockets for my harness that I could drop my weights into like a clip, then the rig would be stored in an easy to done over the head fasion and I can touch the bottom of my tank a whole HECK of a lot easier then the top... I can't even reach my valves right now without pushing up on the bottom of my tank. hmmmm......

Come on guys! Think about the shape of the tank!!!

Firefighters have the valve down because their risk comes from falling objects from above. This is for the most part not the same risk for divers since the force of bumping into a rock is nothing, comparitively speaking.

SCUBA tanks are mounted valve up because it presents a less restictive face to the water! It flows thru the water easier, and there is not the risk of damage from directly above. Simple!

Willar:
SCUBA tanks are mounted valve up because it presents a less restictive face to the water! It flows thru the water easier, and there is not the risk of damage from directly above. Simple!

BS. Steel tanks are more efficient upside down. They preceeded the flat bottom tanks by a couple of decades and were mounted upright. Your logic is flawed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom