Full Moon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jack R

Reaction score
This one is confusing me. I am from FLorida and planning a trip to Papua New Guinea. I love diving at night during a full moon. Here is the question.

If it is a full moon here, is it a full moon everywhere?

I would have to say...Yes! Here is my reasoning..in order for it to be a full moon, the Earth can not block any part of the sun's rays. So this means that no matter where you are on Earth the sun's rays will still light up all of the moon. Now, here is where I may be wrong....does this mean that people in the far South America will still be able to view the moon as people in far North America? Although the moon may be in a different part of the sky for them, the sun's rays are still not blocked by the Earth, so thats why my answer is yes.

Next full moon in N. America, I will call up someplace in South America and try asking them if they see a full moon. There isn't a full moon tonight is there? I hope not....

That makes sense. I thought of that but I couldnt grasp if the angle of the earth had anything to do with it. The next full moon is not until November 4th.

I thought the next full moon was on the 21st?

Here's a picture of the next full moon:

jepuskar once bubbled...
..in order for it to be a full moon, the Earth can not block any part of the sun's rays. So this means that no matter where you are on Earth the sun's rays will still light up all of the moon
Don't think so jepuskar.

What you are describing is a part of the story of a lunar eclipse, which is nowhere near as frequent as the normal phases of the moon.

The moon orbits the earth each lunar month in approximately the same plane as the earth orbits the sun (each year) and indeed in approximate the same plane in which the earth rotates on its axis each day.

A full moon is only seen when it is on the outside of the earth's orbit and furthest from the sun. This is because the side of the moon facing the earth is fully illuminated as it is also facing the sun. This is when we get spring tides because the earth, moon and sun are almost on the same line.

The new moon occurs when it is on the inside of the earth's orbit and nearer to the sun than is the earth. Very liitle of the side of the moon facing the earth is illuminated because, as seen from the earth, the sun is on the other side of it. A very small crescent moon can still be seen because all three are not exactly in line. Spring tides again.

When all three are in line is when an eclipse occurs. Lunar eclipse, moon in earth's shadow during a full moon. Solar eclipse, earth in moon's shadow during a new moon.

When the moon is at right angles to the earth/sun axis, only about half of the side facing the earth is illuminated because, as seen from the earth at least, the sun is illuminating the moon from one side. This is when the first and last quarters are seen. (I suppose they must be known as quarters because you can only see a quarter of the moon! Even with a full moon only half can be seen as the other half is on the other side, is it not? And a half of a half is a quarter?) This is when we get neaps, as the gravitational effects of the moon and the sun are at right angles to each other.

As for Jack's question, clearly the moon will look approximately the same from whatever point on the earth it is viewed, but it may only be facing you during the day, in which case it may not be seen at all because it is not as bright as the daylit sky and and of course it will be on the other side of the earth to you at night!

A full moon might make great viewing but spring tides are not so good for diving!

I enjoyed that! :D

Thank you so much for this clear and concise explanation. I have been trying to understand the relationship between moon and tides for some time. Am i corect to think high tides mean poor visability for scuba diving? If so this mean full and new mon are times of the month to avoid?

Thanks
adam
scubachild@hotmail.com

Back
Top Bottom