Delay AOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jponline77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK,

So, I finished my OW class and was touring the different LDS in my area looking for good equipment. I find one that rents really good dry suits and asked about there AOW classes. The sales guy was very interested in selling me on the course. He sold me into an AOW course in 2 weeks.

1) Drysuit diving in AOW without any previous experience
2) Only 4 OW dives under my belt (part of OW course)

After reading this board and general research. I am inclined to believe that a better course of action is not to rush into AOW. There is lots to see at 60ft and I'll get more out of the course if I have more dives. So, I've delayed the course to November so I can get about 6-8 more dives in. However, I still have a few questions

a) I still won't have any drysuit dives in before the AOW course. So, I'll have the first 2 AOW dives in a drysuit before doing the deep dive... For which being narced and not completely familiar with drysuit seems concerning to me. any thoughts?

b) Upon further research, I found that LDS (a very active one) had a fatal accident with an AOW dive class six years ago. Someone my age with only 5 OW dives under his belt lost the instructor on the deep dive in poor visibility. His buddy surfaced with DCS but the diver was found at the bottom with suspected AGE. Not that I think it'll happen to me but it makes me inclined to get a little more experience.

Also, it seems odd to me that they would be pushing me to get into this course so early given that experience. Should I switch shops?

JP

Seems like you're rushing things. There's plenty of diving to be done at the shallower depths and within your skill/experience level. Get comfortable with that before thinking about AOW. Inexperienced diver+drysuit+depth+poor vis=recipe for disaster. Actually, any two of those listed equations could equal disaster nevermind 4 of them. There's plenty of time to get to those deep dives, don't rush it.
And I'm sure there are dive shops that would gladly sign you up for all those special classes right now:wink:

Dave

P.S. It's always the "other" guy.

maybe you should get comfortable diving first, before you tack on a drysuit?

for us new divers, there's enough stuff to figure out without having to worry about another piece of equipment.

but hey, what do i know? :)

jponline77:
OK,

So, I finished my OW class and was touring the different LDS in my area looking for good equipment. I find one that rents really good dry suits and asked about there AOW classes. The sales guy was very interested in selling me on the course. He sold me into an AOW course in 2 weeks.

1) Drysuit diving in AOW without any previous experience
2) Only 4 OW dives under my belt (part of OW course)

After reading this board and general research. I am inclined to believe that a better course of action is not to rush into AOW. There is lots to see at 60ft and I'll get more out of the course if I have more dives. So, I've delayed the course to November so I can get about 6-8 more dives in. However, I still have a few questions

a) I still won't have any drysuit dives in before the AOW course. So, I'll have the first 2 AOW dives in a drysuit before doing the deep dive... For which being narced and not completely familiar with drysuit seems concerning to me. any thoughts?

b) Upon further research, I found that LDS (a very active one) had a fatal accident with an AOW dive class six years ago. Someone my age with only 5 OW dives under his belt lost the instructor on the deep dive in poor visibility. His buddy surfaced with DCS but the diver was found at the bottom with suspected AGE. Not that I think it'll happen to me but it makes me inclined to get a little more experience.

Also, it seems odd to me that they would be pushing me to get into this course so early given that experience. Should I switch shops?

JP
You don't need to switch shops ... you need to follow your instincts. If you are hesitant to take the class due to a lack of experience, then say so and offer to sign up for a later class.

Listen to that little "internal voice" that's advising you to slow down ... it may someday save your life.

Personally, I advise my students to get some bottom time between classes ... especially between OW and AOW. You'll get way more out of the AOW that way.

Also, if you choose to take it now, I would not advise doing the deep dive in a drysuit you're unfamiliar with ... and 2 dives aren't enough to provide that familiarity. Losing buoyancy on a deep dive can lead to just the sort of accident you noted. Before doing a deep dive, you need to have some familiarity with your gear, and a respectable comfort level in the water. Narcosis will mess with your head anyway ... an analogy would be someone who just got their driver's license deciding to go out and drive around after a few drinks. Think you'll be OK just because you're in the "care" of an instructor? Personally, I wouldn't be that trusting ... especially since you're dealing with a shop where someone has apparently already lost that bet.

Listen to your instincts ... you have them for a reason ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

fishballer:
maybe you should get comfortable diving first, before you tack on a drysuit?

for us new divers, there's enough stuff to figure out without having to worry about another piece of equipment.

but hey, what do i know? :)
You obviously know more then then those that feel whomever has the most certs wins...

JP, GratefulDiver has the right idea... You'll get more out of your AOW experience with a minimum of 20 or 30 dives under your BC, to polish what you've just learned... (well, at least I know *I* did...)

I got certified this spring, planned on getting my AOW this summer, but it didn't happen. Definitely will next summer though.

My understanding is the main thing AOW does is expose you to different diving situations and provides more experience to new divers. That said, if you feel you'd be better off getting more dives in and getting use to your gear - than do that. Grab your buddy and get in some more OW dives in some easy conditions to get a better grasp of using your gear and working on basic skills. There's no need to rush into training that you don't feel comfortable taking yet. As far as what shop to go with, find out who the instructor will be, talk to him (or her), and base your decision off of that. If you feel one instructor is just focused on pumping out more students and not on actually teaching or safety, then I wouldn't go through him. You'll have enough new stuff to worry about with out stressing over a shop's safety record.

And most of all - have fun diving!

First of all - congrats on your certification!!!

I, too, am a new diver. I certified in August after being teased with several resort dives. I did a couple of boat dives and then did my AOW, which I finished off this past weekend. I also dove dry right from my first OW dive, but I did have a pool orientation in a drysuit first.

As you know, AOW is a bit of theory and 5 dives. Mandatory are deep and navigation. The three "electives" I chose were wreck, peak performance buoyancy and night. I chose ones that would improve my diving skills, rather than my fish id skills or photography skills, as I am a new diver. You can also include a drysuit orientation dive as one of your electives.

Your post will resurrect a debate as to when to do AOW. Some believe to wait until you have more experience. Some people believe to do it sooner rather than later to gain more knowledge. Some people wait so long that the course is redundant, as they have already been diving a few wrecks, or deeper than 60', etc.....

In my case, I dive on the west coast of Canada, which can be pretty demanding at times (strong current, cold h2o, lmt vis), so I wanted all the skills I could learn. I also felt pretty comfortable in the water.

My suggestion is that if your are comfortable in the water, go for it. If you still are on the verge of panicing when diving - do some shallow dives and gain confidence. If it is a matter of being a little nervous before a dive - you are in good company, but if it is much beyond that.....

Only you know for sure....

BTW - I encourage you to do the three electives I did. Peak Performance Buoyancy was a great learning dive for a newbie - should almost be mandatory. The night dive was facinating - not nearly as freaky as I expected, and wrecks are just plain cool.......

Get comfortable with your basics before AOW. This may be 12, 24 or 50 dives, it varries. Meanwhile as you mention enjoy the first 60 feet. If you were well taught you are ready to dive with peers and if are lucky meet a mentor.

Getting certified in a drysuit is not unheard of so you can work that in whenever you feel ready to add a little task loading.

You are smart to want some dives between starting with the drysuit and going deep. the stakes go up on those dives.

While it varries, an AOW deep dive may not take you to common narcosis depths. However impairment begins with your first breath below the surface and narcosis has been reported at some unusually shallow depth.

Get grounded and when you need a challenge go do AOW. Keep an eye on your growth since it's easy to have already done all of the AOW dives which can make them a little anticlimatic. With a good instructor you will still get something from them.

Pete

... or if you want to learn something really meaningful, see if there's a YMCA near you that offers a Silver Advanced program.

Not all AOW classes are the same ... some offer you the opportunity to learn some real skills, while others are simply a handful of dives with an instructor (whoopdebloodydoo) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Pathfinder:
Seems like you're rushing things. There's plenty of diving to be done at the shallower depths and within your skill/experience level. Get comfortable with that before thinking about AOW. Inexperienced diver+drysuit+depth+poor vis=recipe for disaster. Actually, any two of those listed equations could equal disaster never mind 4 of them. There's plenty of time to get to those deep dives, don't rush it.
And I'm sure there are dive shops that would gladly sign you up for all those special classes right now:wink:

Dave

P.S. It's always the "other" guy.
I disagree... I was CERTIFIED in a drysuit. I did my OW dives in Maine. If you are in a location where water temp is an issue, a drysuit is a must. There is a little extra instruction that you need, but it is worth it.

As far as an AOW class goes, I believe you should take that directly after OW. Would it make sense to tell a kid "congrats on getting your learner's permit, now go do some driving on your own until you are ready to take driver's ed..."? Of course not.

You just got certified. 5 more dives with an instructor learning more of the basics would do you alot of good (I get a kick out of instructors trying to sell Peak Performance Buoyancy after OW)...

I think Advanced Open Water is a poor name for the class... it makes people perceive that you are Advanced in the skills of diving. When in fact, you merely took the time to polish those basic skills that you learned in OW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom