Computer/Octo Placement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grumpymedic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello gang,
I have a question about where to place your octo and spg/computer. I noticed that everyone seems to wear their octo on their right side and the spg/computer on the left side of the BCD. It looks like you would have a sleeker profile and an easier time reading your spg/computer if you crisscrossed them over in front of you,wearing the computer on the right and the octo on the left. Does anybody do this? I tried it out and it really seems like you have a lot easier time of reading your compass/spg. The only drawback I see is that maybe your buddy would be looking for your octo on the other side,but shouldn't really be a problem if you go over each others gear. Any thoughts on this? :confused:

I clip my SPG to my right D Ring so it crosses over my chest from the left. Very easy to read by just looking down. My Octopus is on the right and attached to my lower right D Ring. Works great for me.

I believe criss-crossing gear and attaching it is a bad idea from the point of view of emergencies. Much more likely to get things tangled up if you have to remove the bcd. Some of my buddies attach the console on the left side but up higher and more towards the front. They say they can just look down and see what they need to. I have also used a retractor and held the console out of the way on the lower left side and it stays nice and secure until I need to see it. I presently just have an SPG on a whip that stays nice and secure on a small retractor on the left lower D-ring and everything else is on my wrist. I find that I can access the spg very quickly and it is easier than clipping with a stainless steel clip. Just my 2 cents. :)

grumpymedic:
I noticed that everyone seems to wear their octo on their right side...
Everyone??? You mean "only the people who never did some thinking themselves about their gear"... :wink:
Unless we're talking about an Hogartian-style rig with a long hose primary and a necklaced secondary (both on the right side) there is NO good reason whatsoever to wear your octo on the right...
  • if the octo is ONLY intended for being used by YOURSELF, it might make sense to put it on your right... but then, it only makes sense if you mount this on a separate first stage since in 99% of the cases if you run into problems with the reg (e.g. free flow, freezing, etc.) it's the 1st stage which causes the problems and not the 2nd stage... so have a single 1st stage with two 2nd stages hooked up to it doesn't help you
  • if, which is the case in 99% of the cases where you put the octo into use, the octo is mainly intended for being used by your buddy (e.g. upcoming OOA, sudden unexpected problems with his reg, etc.), you'd better wear the octo on your LEFT since in this case he can use your octo both in a face to face position as well as in a swimming nicely side by side position without a single unnecessary bend or "S" in the low pressure hose, thereby making optimal use of the full length of this hose and without the risk of this hose being in the way somewhere between you and the buddy you're helping out and also without the risk/chance to hand over the octo to your buddy "upside down"...

Help me understand why there would be absolutely NO good reason for wearing the oct on the right....for one reason, I don't want it to have somebody (me or my buddy) to have a chance of grabbing the wrong hose. If the octo is on the left, couldn't it get confused with the an BC inflator hose?. Plus, to effectively wear it on the left it would have to cross in front and be one other thing to disconnect should you have to ditch your gear.

Granted I'm still relatively new to diving, but I wear my console on the left with a retractor that keeps it up close, and my octo clipped onto my right shoulder strap of my BC. I beleive that keeps everything "important" separated and within easy reach.

sasscuba:
I clip my SPG to my right D Ring so it crosses over my chest from the left. Very easy to read by just looking down.
Ditto.

No need for to worry with an octo hose when you have an Atomic SS1.

grumpymedic:
Hello gang,
I have a question about where to place your octo and spg/computer. :

My computer goes on my right wrist. Compass on my left wrist. I do keep the octo on my right side.Hoses should never cross over as that can cause trouble in a rescue situation.

I like the long hose and bungee necklace setup and may eventually move to that style. But I'm conservative and only make one small change at a time.

I like to have the console on my right octo on my left thatway I dont have to unhook anymore things than I have to to take off my BC. Besides I have the console on a retractor that keeps it tight to my right strap. I keep my computer on my wrist so it stays out of the way.

Computer on my right wrist, compass on the left, SPG clipped to left waist D-ring. Secondary under my chin.

Bismark:
I believe criss-crossing gear and attaching it is a bad idea from the point of view of emergencies. Much more likely to get things tangled up if you have to remove the bcd.

That is why mine is easy broken away in case of emergency. Never have had a problem in 25 years doing it this way. Getting out of BC is not a problem either way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom