Why Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivetheRock

Contributor
Reaction score
Clarenville, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
# of dives
0 - 24
What is the primary benefit(s) to doing a Nitrox course (i.e. to using Nitrox)? Is it used for safety, for depth, for longer bottom times? What are the risks, if any greater than plain ol' air, of using it? The reason I'm asking is that the d/s where I got OW certified is now offering an online Nitrox course for $99 (CND.). I thought this would be a good time to take advantage of the price, but thought, "What do I want Nitrox for?".
Could you please give me your opinions on this...I've read a little on Nitrox, but still unclear as to the benefits/advantages.
Thanks.

Nitrox's primary benefit is that it reduces the amount of inert gas (nitrogen) in your breathing mix. That has a number of positives:

1. Potentially longer bottom times
2. Potentially less surface interval needed.
3. Possibly more forgiving of botched ascent profiles
4. Some claim to feel better post-dive.

Nitrox's big downfall is depth. It reduces the depth at which the gas can be breathed safely. If you can work inside those parameters, it has some very good upsides. Quite frankly, I don't dive air any longer.

All this said, I don't know that I would be comfortable taking a strictly online course at this time. Particularly if I was not very familiar with various breathing gasses and their uses.

Just my opinion

on my second dive I would always hit NDL but using nitrox I don't

I'm one of those divers that feels better post dive. I always feel better after a Nitrox dive as opposed to an air dive. If I dive less than 28% I'm dead tired. After Nitrox I can stay awake to enjoy the rest of the day.

My boyfriend says it is all in my head, but I totally disagree.

I use it on liveaboards mainly. It allows lots of repetitive diving over multiple days without unduly causing NDL restrictions. Total N2 loading is also somewhat lower. this is particularly true if you are diving Nitrox in a group of air divers as you will then be basically doing their air profile. It's gentler on your body and particularly useful for older divers.

DivetheRock:
What is the primary benefit(s) to doing a Nitrox course (i.e. to using Nitrox)? Is it used for safety, for depth, for longer bottom times? What are the risks,

It allows increased NDL on repetitive dives. However, depending on the mix, you become limited to shallower depths. Yes, they add O2 to air to make nitrox but the way to thnk about it is that there is less nitrogen in nitrox, so you absorb less at depth and off gass quicker durring your SI.

There is some added risk. Should you go below the maximum depth for the gas mix you have a good change of blacking out and drownding. But then there is a lot of margin. You would have to screw up by 40 or 60 feet before the stuff would kill you. But kill you it will and with not warnning symtoms either. But air will do the same thing at about 270 feet after all air is just "Nitrox 21"

In practical terms the best use of Nitrox is when you plan multiple dives with depths in the 50 to 80 foot range. Nitrox is not so usfull at deep depths and not needed above 40 feet where NDL is already nearly unlimited. If you are going to a resort and plan to dive over several days at those depths then you want nitrox.

I don't use it for shore diving, but as an example, this weeked I'm doing 3 dives off a boat.

No chance for nitrox on board, so I'm taking 2 tanks (32 & 36%) for dives 1 & 2 to reduce nitrogen loading. Dive 3 should be very shallow, it will be the air dive. Nitrox just give me more flexibility during a day like that.

Bjorn

I also do not dive air any more. The only exception is when I'm teaching in less than 40 feet of water. All of the pros and cons have already been listed. I'd also stay away from an online course as a really good instructor will be able to give more than what is in an online course. If the instructor is also a tech diver, there is another knowledge base for him/her to draw from as nitrox mixes are used for decompression.

If you are not diving doubles or doing Deco Dives the benefits are

You get a pretty card - (I payed extra and have the Aware one with the little dolphins)

You get to pay more for every dive

You get to spend the extra time checking the 02 content of your tank

You get to stick a little piece of tape on your tank with your name and 02 content

You get to be one of the Cool people on the boat that has the tank with the green band

If you spend all your dive time a 60 feet you might actually have significatly more NDL time

It will make you feel Younger, Stronger, Smarter, Thinner, but then so will Gerital and Tequilla..................

Tha's just my opion I could be wrong

As everyone else has noted, Nitrox allows you longer times at depth. While most recreational divers on a single tank usually run short on gas before they run out of no deco time on a single dive, after several dives in succession, allowable bottom time gets much shorter. Nitrox helps you out in this respect, allowing you to get longer bottom times on later dives, and perhaps allowing you to make a last dive that otherwise would be beyond your reach.

As far as feeling better while diving Nitrox, I too experienced this on my earlier Nitrox dives. But the real fix is to do a better ascent. I have noticed a HUGE difference since I started to do short "deep stops" on my deeper dives, and REALLY slow ascents from my safety stop to the surface. I get out of the water wanting to turn around and do it all over again, Nitrox or no.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom