Recreational diving versus Technical? diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

verybaddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have seen various references in my agency (PADI) noting that technical diving requires far better equipment and far more extensive training compared to so called recreational diving, i'm sure other agencies express this view too.

What are peoples (recreationals) view points of the differences between [rec] and [tec] diving? About what they think is needed in terms of extra equipment aswell as what extra training they deem neccessery.

Dont think PADI state that you need 'better' equipment for Technical Diving, you certainly need 'different' equipment for technical diving. You question is very broad and I can just point you towards the Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving (IMHO the best publication PADI has ever released) this gives a good broad overview about Tech Diving and Recreational Diving equipment and training.
Good luck
james

From the viewpoint of a purely recreational diver who has no interest at all in tec diving, the one piece of equipment that tec divers seem to need is a much larger set of ... well, in deference to the lady tec divers, let's just say a lot more intestinal fortitude.:D

orangelemon:
Dont think PADI state that you need 'better' equipment for Technical Diving, you certainly need 'different' equipment for technical diving. You question is very broad and I can just point you towards the Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving (IMHO the best publication PADI has ever released) this gives a good broad overview about Tech Diving and Recreational Diving equipment and training.
Good luck
james

I'm not asking for personal help :p. i'm asking what other recreational divers view points are

I like the way it was explained to me. Think of diving like martial arts with various degrees of belts. A new recreational diver is like a white belt and who then moves through the various colors as they gain experience and more training (AOW, Rescue, Specialty courses, diving experience). A technical diver is a diver who has progressed in their skill level through training and experience to be black belts.

Now regarding equipment, the technical diver typically has different equipment and ALOT MORE OF IT! They will almost universally use BP/Ws instead of standard jacket BCs, they will use double tanks with isolation manifolds, usually multiple sets. They will use various size stage/deco bottles slung off to one or both sides for their very compless gas needs. They will often use very expensive lighting systems (it's dark down at 200'). They almost universally use expensive drysuits. They use complex gas mixtures involving oxygen and helium. Nowadays they will sometimes use rebreathers and even scooters. After doing some number crunching, if you assume you've progressed to the point of having very solid basic skills (buoyancy, trim, situational awareness), the cost of moving to entry level tech can easily be in the $5,000-$7,000 range. Moving up in technical diving becomes VERY expensive due to the cost of training, equipment, equipment maintenance and diving (charters). The cost of preparing to do a dive on a deep wreck (200') when you include training, equipment and experience can easily top $15,000.

You can have "black belt" recreational divers and "white belt" tech divers.

I define technical diving as additional/outside the normal for recreational diving. This includes any form of overhead enviornment (inside a wreck, cane, ice, decompression diving (can't just go strait to the surface) or simply doing easy dives far from any outside support (medical assistance, chamber, phone).

All of these activities take additional planning/training and place the diver in a risk enviornment outside what could be considered acceptable for recreational diving.

These activities will often also require additional equipment that requires prcatice to become comfortable with.

The owner of our LDS, a tec instructor, said he evaluated potential tec students by asking them a simple question: why do you wnat to do this? If they answered "because I want to go to 200 ft" he turned them down and if they answered "there's (fill in the blank) I want to see at 200 ft and I need the training to see it..." he took them on. His point was that there isn't anything intrinsically better about diving at 200 ft than at 60 ft per se, but there are some neat things to see that require that depth and that risk. Someone who has no idea of why they want to tech dive, other than to prove their manhood or something, he didn't want anything to do with...

As for the black belt analogy, the belts don't mean how good you are, just how long you've trained and what you should know at a given level. They were originally designed not as a merit system, but as an indexing system so that an instructor, faced with a large class, could tell immediately what forms/techniques that student could participate in.

Nevertheless, the analogy between black belt and tec diving may be right in one respect; a black belt, more than a white belt, should know a) how little he or she really knows and b) what a serious business fighting (diving) is. I hold two black belts and, faced with a confrontation, would run away as fast as I could.

"A man has got to know his limitations" Dirty Harry, Magnum Force

I do keep it quite simple... any dive which I cannot safely do with my regular recreational gear (tank or tanks with a single breathing gas mixture, wetsuit or drysuit, computer + backup computer, decent lighting + backup lighting, reel, SMB, BCD, redundant air supply/backup regulator on a separate valve, etc.) is beyond "recreational" and as such "technical".
Deco dives I do not consider as "technical" diving since learning how to plan and perform deco dives is part of our regular training programme, already from 2*D onwards, so this is considered as being "normal/recreational" for us.

I'm taking my first tech class right now. The main difference when looking into technical diving is that tech divers go beyond traditional no deco bottom times and make various deco stops, possibly on enriched air or pure o2. This creates an overhead environment because you will get bent if you ascend to the surface without the deco. Tech divers plan redundancies in their equipment and are self sufficient should an emergency come up. It was explained to me as the military mentality: 3 is 2, 2 is 1 and 1 is none. A well trained tech diver will self rescue and only use his buddy for support in the most dire emergencies. The technical diver has a greater understanding of dive related physiology and should have all basic skills mastered to the point they can task load several things without bouyancy becoming an issue. A technical diver should be prepared to enter a hostile environment without fear they will panic. They must also plan a dive with contigency gas and be prepared should they be forced to stay down longer than they had originally anticipated.

The equipment is of better quality than is required simply because the depths are deeper and gas is more dense at depth. The equipment is also very tough and will hold up to abuse and heavy use. Additional equipment such as ascent lines and SMB's are required to help a diver do a free ascent should it become a neccesity. Most tech divers use a long primary hose for air sharing because it makes it much easier to share air when inside a cave or wreck. Constant drilling with said equpiment is required to ensure the diver will be prepared in an emergency because there is little or no room for mistakes at 200+ feet.

PADI has a technical entity called DSAT TecRec and they do teach technical diving. I've looked at their books and they look similar in content to the TDI and IANTD.

http://www.padi.com/english/common/courses/tec/

I hope this helps.

In recreational diving if you have a problem of any sort you can head to the surface in a (hopefully) controlled way.

In technical diving you dont have that luxury.You have to fix the problem where you are. If you can not fix it then you end up either bent or dead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom