Help choosing a Fish ID book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melissassm

Contributor
Reaction score
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario "the great armpit of the
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm interested in buying a carribean fish identification book. I've checked around online, and there's lots to choose from, but no good descriptions of their contents!

So, if anyone owns or knows of a good Carribean fish ID book, please recommend one for me. Somethingsimple, with lots of colour photos preferably...

Thanks!

Oh? There was a different one other than the Paul Humann/Ned Deloach serries? :wink:

That would be the "bible".

If you are truly interested in the marine envirionment, you might as well just go ahead and buy the whole Humann/DeLoach set ----- Reef Fish ID; Reef Creature ID; and the very interesting Reef Fish Behavior.

Also available are two 24 page waterproof booklets that are companions to the Reef Fish ID an Reef Creature ID books. These are very useful for looking up stuff during surface intervals while still dripping wet on a dive boat.

-------------------

Not nearly as comprehensive as the Humann/DeLoach books, but still very useful is "Corals and Fishes; Florida, Bahamas & Caribbean" by Idaz and Jerry Greenberg. 64 page book covers the most common fish and coral in a nice compact book. Available in both normal paper and a waterproof version.

It's also a good introduction to fish ID if you find the Humann books overwhelming.

Charlie Allen

Yep. Ditto on the Human/Deloach books. Get the set from Amazon, that is the cheapest place I have seen them.

melissassm:
I'm interested in buying a carribean fish identification book. I've checked around online, and there's lots to choose from, but no good descriptions of their contents!

So, if anyone owns or knows of a good Carribean fish ID book, please recommend one for me. Somethingsimple, with lots of colour photos preferably...

Thanks!

I have the the Reef Set For Sell by Humann/Deloach for , FLORIDA CARIBBEAN BAHAMAS.

Reef Fish Identification -- 396 pages

Reef Coral Identification -- 239 pages

Reef Creature identification -- 320 pages

Well illustrated , mostly color photos with info like Size, Habitat, Reaction to Divers , ect.

Waterproof pages , with box , these are in great shape with neoprene carry case . For $60.00 + S/H about $8.00

If anyone interested , PM me your email for photos and info.

If paid with Paypal , will ship next business day , thank you .
__

RoatanMan:
Oh? There was a different one other than the Paul Humann/Ned Deloach serries? :wink:

That would be the "bible".

ditto

Not only is that the best fish ID guide, but they have a great website http://www.fishid.com/index.html with a very nice learning center and fun fish id quiz.

Jackie

Back
Top Bottom