Have dive computers increased/decreased the amount of DCI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Are there stats to prove this? Was there an increase/decrease? Did it stay the same?

I'd assume decrease since a computer does the math for you... elimates people messing up their tables, which can happen easily.

Again, that's my assumption, I have absolutely nothing to back that statement up. :D

If I had to guess, I'd say that computers haven't decreased the number of cases of DCI. Nor have they probably lowered the ratio of divers who get DCI. What they probably have done is prevent the number of cases of DCI from ballooning, There are so many more divers today, with less training, and in less proper shape than I imagine was the case 20 years ago (not saying this is all bad, but it's true).

I would think it would be kind of hard to quantify since the number of recreational divers have increased alot since the advent of dive computers...not because of it per se...But I'm sure there are statistics...Even if there are stats, I would still question their accuracy. Compared to the number of dives each year, DCS and even more so AGE cases are rare.

DAN's research shows the incidence of DCI dropping with computer usage. It doesn't make computers infallible, the 3 DCI cases they saw in their 2003 study all used computers. They were also all on cold, deep wreck dives.

I don't know where we'd ever find data to support a verdict on this one.

If you consider why we use a computer there may be a clue. Most divers use a computer to take advantage of the multi leve profile of most dives. The point being to stay under longer by having credit for time in shallower water.

The table alternative is to dive based on the maximum depth. This forces a shorter multilevel dive.

The rat in the wood pile is the diver that didn't bother to plan the dive whatsoever or the one trying to do average depth stuff in their head on the fly. These divers are prone to screwing up and giving the table divers a bad reputation.

Since this whole sport is based on a matematical model of a theorhetical diver the fact that the computer lets us tease the limits of the model does offer some elevated risk.

I can see positives and negatives so I call it a draw.

Pete

Jarrett:
Are there stats to prove this? Was there an increase/decrease? Did it stay the same?

In my opinion, there are far to many factors that interact to conclusively say computer had this effect. For instance:

1) Lowering of training standards over the years
2) Increase in numbers of divers from many different backgrounds, including may high risk catagories
3) 'mainstreaming' of fringe dive activities - Cave - Tek etc
4) Advances in Deco Theory - models
5) Increase in the number of vacation dives resorts/liveaboards (IE increse in total dives)
6) Mainstreaming Nitrox and Trimix
7) Introduction of higher reliability gear - SPG
8) Depending on how far to go back, introduction of single hose reg, BC, Octo's etc
9) Modern Dive Today programs

In essence, my point is that singling out a single piece of gear and claiming it had this impact on DCI rates or totals is a bit simplistic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom