Question for the partial-DIR crowd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xoomboy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've read a lot of posts from people that say things like "I'm not DIR, but I do incorporate a lot of their ideas into my rig...", "DIR has a lot of good principles, but I don't always follow them...", and also, "Make your own INFORMED decisions about how to dive".

So, here I am, attempting to collect information from both sides of the coin.

Now, without turning this into yet another DIR v. non-DIR debate thread, can some of you post the reasons why you have chosen to adopt some -- but not all -- of the DIR philosophy?

Example: "I mount a light canister on my left side, but I do not run a long primary hose because..."

Please refrain from "Well, you SHOULD do it that way, because..." responses. I'm looking for peoples' reasons why they do NOT follow the DIR philosophy for that particular piece of gear, or technique, etc. Also, please refrain from any responses containing the words "stormtroopers, assimilation, regime", etc...

REPEAT: This thread is not intended to be DIR v. non-DIR. This is an information-gathering thread. :)

Cheers,

Matt

Just to give some perspective, and not to even get close to 'what is better' and all of the other 'fighting words' on the DIR vs Non-DIR debate.

I choose to dive DIR based on the training that was offered by GUE. I had not been tec or cave diving prior to taking a tec course and I think that made my decision to adopt DIR a much easier one.

In starting from the 'newbies' perspective, I didn't have to 'unlearn' anything or have GUE challenge my beliefs in what was right or wrong (as far as what training taught me).

After 3 GUE courses (Tech 1, Cave 1, and Fundy's) I'm pretty much all DIR. I believe in their philosphy and their gear rigging as that is what I learned on. I'm certainly not saying that the other ways of doing things is good or bad, it's just different. If you're not a hazard to yourself and your gear is not causing you problems, then what fundamentally is wrong with that?

I'm sure the above comment could spark debate among hardcore DIR believers, but that's a function of the person not the agency.

In any case, I'm not sure if this helps any or is appropriate to this discussion.

I do see that you live in the same area as I do. If there is anything I can do to help you out, let you try some DIR gear etc, please let me know.

--Pat

I use a BP and wings with an STA, it is comfortable, functional and adaptable. It is rigged almost DIR, my knife is not in the DIR directed position.

subdude

Thanks for the posts, guys.

Patmandu: Definitely a good idea to look at it from the other way around as well. I'd love to meet up at some point to try out the rig and see how it feels. PM me if you'd like to get together.

subdude: Exactly what I'm looking for! However, if you could elaborate a little further as to WHY you wear your knife in the non-DIR location, that would be great. Even if the reason is "I just think it's easier to reach there", that's fine.

Matt

As an early convert to many of Bill Main's innovations (AKA the "Hogarthian" system), I found that when GUE and "DIR" came along they adopted many of the same ideas I had - but not all, and some I'd rejected.
The only "DIR" practice I'm sure that I have tremendous heartburn with is the "horizontal ascent" near the surface. I think it's dangerous. Aside from that, I classify the rest of the "DIR" methods and procedures as well within the realm of "solid and safe."
Personally, it is my opinion that often 'DIR" tries to force a square peg into a round hole - for example their total rejection of jacket BC's, which I find to be the best choice for some dives. I don't imagine I would ever pass a "DIR" critique, 'cause I'm always doing it the way I think is best, and that's always just a little different.
Rick

Instead of a knife to the left of the crotch strap, I have a pair of EMT shears there. My knife I wear it on the right of my hip to secure the long hose, as I havent got a cannister light yet.

I have 2 contents guages. one on each tank. Why, cos my primary is digital and hence its battery could fail. So my secondary is the backup (it is clipped off DIR style)

I wear a sod off big knife on my leg as well as a small 4" knife commando style and carry shears and z knife. Why, cos in 27 years of diving the 3 times I've NEEDED a knife its been to cut 1" or thicker hawser and the 2" apple peelers the DIR brigade wear would be about as much use as a spare air. We have lots of nets on UK wrecks.

I wear Pro Force Fins as after 26 years of wearing Jet fins I found something that I think is better

I wear stages on both sides, Why, because I dont have a scooter and I stick to the Rich/Right, Lean/Left philosophy, plus I like staying level and not swimming in circles. I do mark them DIR style

My secondary DV comes over my left shoulder. Why, because its a poseidon jetstream(odin) it can and it keeps the hose much shorter and tidier

I do use a long 5ft primary and donate from my mouth. This is also a jetstream so can be more easily passed as it works from both sides

Oh, and then I break all the DIR rules cos I now dive mainly on my Inspiration

My equipment is mostly DIR "compatible", as is my diving style. That being said:

I use a computer unless diving mix.

I don't like wrist mount compass, so I have mine on a d-ring.

I mount my argon on my doubles using a Pony Tamer because it's simple, fast, and I can release it using one hand while I have the tanks on, vs the DIR bands which aren't any of the above.

I believe there is a position in the water other than "horizontal".
I carry a knive and shears.
I have a boot on my SPG.

The list goes on.

Great replies so far, everyone. Please be sure to keep them coming!

Please remember to address the "why" aspect of your choices, rather than listing the gear you have that is not DIR-compliant.

Thanks!

Matt

I don't know how many of my equipment specifics are non-DIR since I make no real effort to find out.

I have heard different reccomendations about using the but ring for reels but I don't like to carry my reels there. I carry them on my hip ring. I carry a spool in my right thight pocket.

In open water I carry a conventional "open ended" lift bag. It is rolled up and stowed in loop under my plate.

I use a 14 cu ft argon bottle (I may go to a smaller bottle). It might be too big to mount on the plate (I haven't tried it). It was mounted to my back tanks on the left side. It interfered with the function of my rear dump so I tried it on the right side and have not found a problem with it. However I don't like it mounted to the tanks becaus I can't remove it without help. Thats never been a problem but it could be I guess.

I only have one pocket on my dry suit (on the right). My next suit will have two.

I don't really stick to their standard gasses but it's close.

I carry shears to the left of my crotch strap and a small knife in my thigh pocket.

I just recently put the handle back on my light head.

There may be more if I think about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom