PADI eBusiness - Atomic Online - 800 Pound Gorilla in the Room

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhilEllis

Reaction score
........and other observations from DEMA 2006.

Hi All. I am back from DEMA and I must say that this was a very interesting show. Interesting because it was MUCH smaller than all previous shows I have attended. Interesting because of the LACK of new and innovative merchandise. Interesting because of the new position outlined by PADI with regard to eBusiness and the future. Interesting because of the entry of Atomic into the internet business. Interesting because of the 800 pound gorilla in the room.

PADI eBusiness. The PADI presentation on the future of their eBusiness and eLearning was extremely good. Like every presentation I have ever seen from PADI, it was very well designed and well presented. eLearning is clearly the direction PADI is taking. They are going to become the strongest advocates of dive centers shifting focus toward internet retail sales and that will be spirited ahead with their still-developing program for eLearning. Basically, PADI is going to shift emphasis to delivering the PADI student materials electronically instead of the current PADI Go Dive student kit. Potential divers will also be able to enroll in classes directly on the PADI website, choosing a PADI IRC (PADI Dive Center) as their "mentors" and delivery agents for the pool and open water diving. I personally think this is a great move and I am sure it will be done professionally by PADI. I would look forward to an opportunity to say more about this at a later time. There didn't appear to be much there for the independent instructor. It is clear that PADI is shifting emphasis on training delivery through the PADI Retail Centers. I don't know if this is good or bad, but it is certainly different.

Atomic Internet Sales. I had guessed about a month ago that Atomic would choose one of the "traffic-director" type web companies for their entry into the internet business. I even speculated that it might be Shopatron, Inc. I was correct. Atomic has chosen shopatron.com as the designer-manager for their web sales. This company is very well known as a providor for companies that have locations all over the country, such as Best Buy, Lowes Building Supply, Home Depot, and large organization of the same ilk. What will be left to be seen is their success with a company like Atomic that has sparse dealer coverage, all independently owned. Sales will be at full retail price and the dealer that is selected to supply the product will be selected based on a "bid" system, with the closest bidding dealer getting the sale. As a consumer, you will pay Shopatron and a local dealer will deliver the product. We will see how this works. I can think of about a million problems with this system, but maybe it will work.

800 Pound Gorilla. The 800 pound gorilla in the room was ScubaBoard. NetDoc had tons of traffic at his booth and I think you will see the interest in advertising here on the ScubaBoard exploding. I am very grateful for that. It is about time NetDoc began to make a little money on this very time consuming venture. After meeting and talking with Pete, I don't think a thing will change for us as users. He will simply have more money to funnel into this site to provide better and better services as this thing continues to grow. ScubaBoard is the 800 pound gorilla because it reaches MORE SCUBA DIVERS than all of the other scuba media combined! Scuba companies spend millions in advertising in the magazines and shows, only to reach a small portion of the people ScubaBoard reaches each day. Like all 800 pound gorillas, they will continue to ignore him until it simply becomes impossible. That time is not far down the road.

Other Observations. When you walk around the show, you see lots of salesmen and lots of buyers in deep conversation, both with their game faces on. Salesman trying to sell and buyers trying to get the best deal possible. Both putting on a show of strength to improve their position in the negotiation. I prefer to look each of them in their faces when they aren't in their game face. When you caught a salesman or a store owner in a moment of "down time", I noticed something in common between both parties..........the amazing fear in their eyes. The scuba companies are fearful because they know change is coming and they don't know how to handle it. The scuba store owners are fearful because they know change is coming and they don't know how to handle it. This is going to be the winter of fear in our industry.

The internet has finally come full circle in scuba diving. There are a few remaining that will have no part of it. But trust me, they all know it is here to stay. PADI says that the children of baby boomers equaled the actual baby boomers in the number of new diver certifications. They made it clear that this is the generation that looks FIRST to the internet before they make any purchase. Five years from now, the children of the baby boomers will be the dominant majority of new diver certifications. They will want to do academic work on the internet. They will want to shop on the internet. In diving retail and training, the internet is the next big thing. It is here to stay. Those that think they can ignore it will eventually be scrambling to change and change fast. Talk about eating words. There are going to be some big scuba names choking on the alphabet in the near future.

I participated in the Total Access Internet presentation provided by Oceanic, as did Larry(ScubaToys) and Jim(Scuba.com). There were about 50 owners in attendance. As I was leaving for home, I was thinking about the published Leisure Trends statistics on the "average" dive store in America. In 2007, the three of us (divesports, scubatoys, and scuba.com) will probably have a combined retail sales higher than the combined retail sales of the 50 dealers that attended the presentation. That should be an eye-opener for anyone in this industry. That should make any local scuba store that refuses to change....well, cringe. That makes those statistics that claim that only 2% of dive equipment is sold over the internet....well.....a little "optimistic" (from the viewpoint of the local store owner). I don't know the real number, but it is large.....much larger than anyone is willing to estimate. Unless there is some type of change, there will simply be carnage in this industry. Let's hope lots of people were listening.

Well, maybe I will get into a little more detail on some of these subjects in the coming days. It will surely be an interesting upcoming winter and 2007 dive season. Congratulations to NetDoc for being there. Just being there made a big statement. Good things are around the corner for ScubaBoard.

Final Note: After talking with them for a year, I finally got a personal meeting with several of my new suppliers. Michael Brennen (Apollo Sports - MDB here), Mike Pantoini (XS Scuba - xsscuba here) were among them. Michael is simply a very classy guy. If you want to know how to operate and prosper in the scuba industry, give him a phone call. He has forgotten more about this business than most of us know. And what a classy guy! A Marine. A businessman. A good guy. The pleasure was all mine. Mike Pantoni ( and the whole crew from XS - Dan and Mark) are good people. XS Scuba is a good company. The guys above them better watch out.....they don't sleep! They are coming strong. Another group of classy people. It is fun putting these faces with their familiar voices. The highlight of my week.

Thanks to all of you for your business with my company and for putting discussion to some of the most important topics in our industry.
Phil Ellis

Wow, thanks for the report and insite Phil!! It'll be very interesting to see how your observations about this 800 pound gorilla will pan out. I'm very proud to support ScubaBoard with my dollars as I find it to be a great resource.

Thanks for the perspective Phil. It's going to be interesting to see if any other manufacturer will step up and give this site the recognition and respect that Zeagle does. I told someone a while ago that this site could be a dive ops best friend or it's worst nightmare...I just did not know it would be King Kong. :)
This site sure has changed from the little group of divers it was a few years ago.

PhilEllis:
Atomic Internet Sales. I had guessed about a month ago that Atomic would choose one of the "traffic-director" type web companies for their entry into the internet business. I even speculated that it might be Shopatron, Inc. I was correct. Atomic has chosen shopatron.com as the designer-manager for their web sales.

I wonder how they will make this work.... because Atomics website has been down for over a week. If they can't keep their main website up, how are they going to manage the transisiton into online sales? (just doesn't look good)

Sales will be at full retail price

So what's the advantage of buying online if the price is "full retail price" ? Most of the reason that people buy online is that because their LDS is just too high priced for the same item. I don't think charging full retail price will be the solution for Atomic. People just won't go there and buy that. Especially when they are some of the highest priced regulators in the industry. Full Retail price will just push customers back to Leisure Pro.

800 Pound Gorilla. The 800 pound gorilla in the room was ScubaBoard. NetDoc had tons of traffic at his booth and I think you will see the interest in advertising here on the ScubaBoard exploding.

Wow... that shows you the power of Scubaboard and how much the internet is changing the way we dive. Several years ao the 800 pound Gorilla was Aqualung. Now this year you don't really even hear them being mentioned when DEMA is talked about. This is definately a interesting item.

Go figure...

Awesome report Phil. I totally agree with your observations. The internet is here, it is staying and online sales and e-learning are the future. I love it. A global marketplace. :14:

Interesting report Phil, thanks for sharing.
I think the Atomic thing opens the doors for people that live in rural areas without a "local" Atomic dealer.

Mike_S, as far as price, Atomic regs are a high value item, meaning I have an Atomic and love it, and think my "life support system" is worth paying for when you get the quality that Atomic has to offer. We'll just have to wait and see what comes of this new shopping system, if anything. One would think there could be problems in the virtual world if they can't keep their website up. Perhaps they're working on it to get it ready for the start of shopatron.

Look forward to reading more from you Phil.

C U underwater, :snorkel:
ScubaDivaDivemaster

PhilEllis:
...eLearning is clearly the direction PADI is taking...

Be afraid. Be V-E-R-Y afraid!

:)

Now, I'm not knocking the web or e-learning per se. But it's bad enough (sorry to say it) the first time someone comes out on a boat off NJ who's got their AOW and 30 dives in their logbook but has never been diving anywhere but a pool and a quarry.

Soon those same people won't even have MET anyone along the way who has ever been diving outside a pool or a quarry. Seriously. I could do my "e-Learning" on line, my "e-Mentor" could be a guy in Cozumel who does my pool work and OW checkouts, and my "e-Tailer" could be in West Palm Beach.

OK - I'm ready for NJ Wreck Diving! Got my c-cards and everything!"

I don't mean that those people aren't up to it, or that they should stay away. Just the opposite. I want 'em out there with me, because it's fantastic.

But it's cold and it's dark and it's deep. And it looks NOTHING like the shiny happy people in the PADI books and website diving on white sand beaches. If I had been certified "on-line" or even in a resort setting, I would never have thought to go diving in the ocean that is across the street from my house. And if I had thought of it, I would have been woefully unprepared, and would never have come back after the first time. The best thing my LDS and instructors ever did for me was teach me how to dive HERE. Stuff that wasn't in the book, or in "the standards." Simple things like "the book says XXXXXX and it's good information and you need to know that as the minimum, but here's what that REALLY means when the water is 38 degrees, the boat is hopping 4-6ft, everyone including the captain is puking their guts up, viz is 5ft at best, there's a ripping current and your buddy gives you the hand signal for 'see ya back on the boat, I'm heading this way for lobsters' as soon as you hit the anchor."

Let's cut to the chase, and we can load about 100 different log-book pages for great dives on the web. Then you can simply download them, print them out, and put them in your log book. We'll call it "e-Diving" and can even offer a specialty certification.

"Here's the time John and Richie and I dove the Doria..."

:)

I was in my LDS today speaking about this very same subject. We all came to the same conclusion as you- Resistance is futile. Internet sales are the way of the future and any shop that isn't sitting on a prime dive location is doomed if they ignore the trend. Posting competitive prices online and having professional staff there to assist you in fitting the product will enable the LDS to stay successful. Service will become a mainstay of the business, regardless of who does it. Customer service is another cornerstone of any good business and a successful dive shop must be willing to go the extra mile.

I've heard rumblings about Mares partnering with a major retail outlet for distribution but I'm not certain it is a reality. It would be a strong move for them.

Web training could be useful for some classes like nitrox or EFR but the core classes should really be taught the way they are now. I can't imagine a cookie cutter web class being as informative as a live professional that can answer all your questions and make the student feel more at ease.

Many people have made a great living on diving and I hope they are willing to make a move towards E-sales. We are an internet driven culture and new marketing stratagies are appearing every day. The old way of making people wait for everything is a thing of the past, there is no longer a captive market in diving.

I'm a business owner myself so I know how it feels to be in a market with shrinking margins and high customer expectation. Don't be the winner of the business version of the Darwin Award.

I think the eLearning concept fits in perfectly with PADI's independant study philosophy and it's going to enhance their status as leaders in the dive education field. Thanks Phil, I trust your judgement and always enjoy your posts.

Ummm guys don't forget. PADI was SECOND in the online training arena.

Online training is here. Stop whining about online certifications. Divers will still need instructors to get them through CW and OW. Those who are enamoured with the sound of thier own voice in the classroom telling their numerous tales are going to have to find another way to get the stories in.

You can get a college degree from an accredited online university, you can do your classroom portion of OW online.

Ride the dragon yall.

TwoBit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom