First time long distance dive trip and night dive, any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppatrick

Reaction score
Hello,

I'll be flying to Florida Keys next week. This will be my first long distance reef dive trip (actually this will be my first salt water dive as well). I plan to put my regulator/dive computer/camera (exclude housing) into the carry-on and check in the rest of the gears. Is that a good idea? This will also be my first night dive. I'm kind of a bit nervous about diving in the dark. Should I do anything different from day time diving? Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,
Patrick

Definitely let the others know how new you are to that type of diving. Don't exceed your dive comfort either.

Have a great time Patrick....Did I dive with you at Haigh this summer? Who are you diving with?
Depends where you are diving try to get in a daytime dive on the same sight as you are going to do a night dive on.

I would also put the computer/reg/camera in the hand luggage.
Also, I would make sure to do a weight check before I go out to dive with whoever youll dive with.
And finally, Id make sure to get a daytime dive on the site of the night dive prior to the night dive, if possible..

I take my camera including housing and accessories in my carry-on but it's all personal choice....don't forget all it takes is a few nice words to get someone to hand your camera in to you .... have a great time and dive safe!

Sounds like a nice plan. The Keys (Largo, particularly) have lots of great,relatively cheap shops and lots of great boats.

As for the night dive, at some point, somewhere around 30 ft, lie on your back at the bottom, and turn your light to your chest (cuts the light w/o turning it off). The view of the sky through the water is amazing. Also, it's fun to just stay in one place on a reef and watch who comes and goes.

Enjoy

Stay with the leader (assuming you have one) during the dive. You also see the lights of other divers and that will give you a little confidence that you aren't lost. You may actually have a dusk dive just before the night dive. Depends on the operator. It is actually an easy dive. Probably going to dive the wreck City of Washington if you are staying in Key Largo. Shallow, with lots of fishies, eels and if you are lucky, a shark or two.

If you don't have two lights, there is a huge scuba store (WorldWide Watersports?) where you can pick of some nice goodies for a fair price.

Relax and get ready to enjoy a wonderful experience. One I'm sure you'll repeat at every opportunity.

As far as night diving goes, as you havent tried it before.. Just go down there and let the incredible experience enthrall you.. If youre not religious, prepare to be blessed. Not saying someone not religious will become christian or jew or muslim or whatever, but as far as im concerned.. Its one of the most powerfull, relaxing, incredible things you can do. If I had the choice to go to bed with a supermodel and going night-diving.. Id grab my SCUBA gear and get going :p

Edit: Im kinda weird tho..
If you tell me that you want to hypnotize one from the crowd, Id be the first to voulenteer and believe me when I say that Id go DEEP.. Want me to forget a number? NP, its gone. Want me to see and feel a tennisball thats not there? Here it is..
Gah.. Imma shut up now.. Im on my way into one of them deep trances again..

1_T_Submarine, yes I dove in Haigh last Summer with a buddy of mine and a group of divers (open water). Are you one of my instructor helpers?

Del_mo, thanks for reminding me about two lights. Actually I have none. The dive op told me to bring one and rent one. Can you tell me where is this WorldWide Watersport? Maybe I can buy it when I'm at the Keys.

Tigerman, thanks for many replies. Is it important to dive at the same site during the day time before doing the night dive? The dive op never told anything about that. In fact, I don't even know where in John Pennekemp would I be diving at night...

jpcpat, thanks for tip about the sky view. I'll try it. :)

Thanks everyone who replies. Actually I have one more question. Yesterday I found a dive op that offer two tanks for night dive. My dive op only offers one tank. Both of these outfits charge the same price. Should I go with the two tank outfit? Is it unusually to dive with two tanks at night (most dive op only offer one tank for night dive)?

Thank you,
Patrick

ppatrick:
Hello,

I'll be flying to Florida Keys next week. This will be my first long distance reef dive trip (actually this will be my first salt water dive as well). I plan to put my regulator/dive computer/camera (exclude housing) into the carry-on and check in the rest of the gears. Is that a good idea? This will also be my first night dive. I'm kind of a bit nervous about diving in the dark. Should I do anything different from day time diving? Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,
Patrick

First salt water dive, excellent, there is so much great stuff to see.
I would also pack your logbook and cert card in your carryon. If these get lost you won't be able to dive no matter how much of your gear makes it.
Make sure you let everyone know (dive op, DMs, buddy, etc) that this is your first salt water dive, so that they know you might need some extra time to get your weighting right.
For the first night dive: relax, stay with the leader, don't point your light anywhere near someone elses face/eyes, and try to control your light as much as possible. If you let it swing around like a disco ball everyone will think you are in trouble. If possible, try to do the night dive at a site you dove during the day, so you will be more familiar with it. Be honest with yourself and others about your experience, that way the dive op can give you a dive that will be fun an relaxing, and not so demanding that you get stressed and have a bad time.
Have a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom