The New Live Buoy Map is Here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey

Omniheurist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I had some free time over the weekend, so I got out my software mallet, merged the NOAA Buoy Database with Google Maps, and came up with this:

http://www.bupkis.org/map.asp

The page renders a little slow because of all the round-trips to Google for map rendering, but usually comes in at less than 15 seconds.

It's a lot faster with fewer data points, but I couldn't pull any out without making somebody's favorite dive spot vanish.

Have fun!

Terry

CheddarChick:
Oh my God...Are you a 'puter geek or what... I Love IT!!!!

Thanks!

That's the nicest thing anybody has said to me all day! :cool:

Terry

Nice work. We have leveraged this technolgy to deliver a couple of apps. There is a nice wow factor from the users!

Does anybody know where there is any more buoy data?

I'd like to add more from the Carribean, Austrailia, Japan and Africa and South America but can't seem to find anymore.

Thanks!

Terry

I found the problem. I've get the data from NOAA, but it turns out that the bouy list I pick up from them now contains a bunch of funky characters that my import code wasn't expecting, so I was discarding a bunch of buoys.

For example, the Latitude starts out in the file like this:

55.01 N
but now halfway through the file it becomes something like this:
33°59'26"

On a positive note, there should be a bunch more buoys soon. :cool:

Terry

UWupnorth:

Back
Top Bottom