divers with homing beacons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

big diver

Registered
Reaction score
what I mean is my good dive buddy chad died 2 week ago at the lobster shop but im sure every one has hurd about but if he had some sort of homing beaken on him he would have been found may be we would have known what exactly what happened do you guy and gals think every diver should be equiped with this kind of device my friend john and I just went diving in the snow yesterday for the first time since chads death as we went I asked him the same question about beakens and he thaught it was a good Idea

hmmm, you mean an ERIRB? Sorry about your friend BTW.

We bought an signal device and plan to house it for drift dives or the very rare occasion no one is on the boat.

The GPS interface will update and pinpoint our coordinates for the Coast Guard, supposedly. In the meantime, if we get lost at sea on the boat crossing to other islands, it might help.

Someday, it might be standard...now, they are about 600 dollars.

here is the one we picked out

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/rapidfix.html

It sounds like a great idea, not sure the technology supports it. If the diver were to surface, then it would be useful. Not sure if the same can be said if the diver/body doesn't come to the surface.

Anytime you have a "required" piece of equipment, enforcement becomes an issue. Seems like more hikers/backpackers/skiers get lost and they don't have the equipment on either and that technology does exist.

BTW, Big Diver, why did you put this in the Meet and Greet Forum? Maybe a Moderator will decide to move it.

Tim

well, you don't use it till you surface. If you couldn't surface..it sure would not help for anyone to know where you were.

I assumed he meant that his friend was lost at sea.

EPIRB wouldn't work underwater, i don't think...

what you're thinking of would be more like some kind of sonar device.

if you could make a chip for $5 that could be integrated with something like the DAN tag I could see divers using it. i don't think it would get widely used if it were more like $200+

catherine96821:
well, you don't use it till you surface. If you couldn't surface..it sure would not help for anyone to know where you were.

I assumed he meant that his friend was lost at sea.

Unless you were the family of the dead diver and wanted the body to be recovered. There are lots of reasons that getting a body off the bottom is a good idea, for investigation purposes and for proper burial.

Seeing as how there is a body floating around out there near where I dive, this topic is certainly at the top of my mind.

I think the OP is referring to the same one I am. He was not "lost at sea" is is at the bottom somewhere. Still hasn't been found.

Tim

oh...sorry.

yea, then the family has another problem, you are right.

here is the tech, now who is making it....

http://sonar-fs.lboro.ac.uk/newsite/projects/diver_shot_rope.php

I know Uwatec made something like this for a while, it would be easy to integrate the transmitter to dive computers or a stand alone unit the diver wears while diving.

Hmmm…

A few things come to mind. Maybe an "emergency marker" device? Kind of like a "safety sausage" but smaller. Attaches to the back or top of your tank. Has a very strong but thin cord. Inside is a high pressure small CO2 canister with some kind of device that senses diver motion (or maybe even breathing?). If motion or breathing stops, it blows. The bag shoots to the surface but is anchored to the diver by the cord. Anyone on the surface can immediately see it and trace it back down to the disabled diver.

For dive operators, maybe something like a "smart" PAL device used by firefighters? Dive boats could keep them on board, everyone diving wears one. Figure out the acoustic range so you have at least a 2 channel system. If the diver stops moving it begins to beep. Diver must reset to avoid activation. If not, it sends an intense low frequency signal that can be “heard” by a transducer on the boat and the "master" unit on the boat activates all devices on divers in the water, again by an acoustic signal, along with the boat "recall" alarm. The "emergency" signal tells everyone a diver is in distress and needs rescue. The activated unit could also emit a low frequency "audible" signal so if another diver was within 50 FT of it he or she could hear it underwater. Might not "pinpoint" the location of a distressed diver, but at least everyone would know about the emergency.

Just thinking...

Back
Top Bottom