To Nitrox or not to Nitrox: that is the question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Often it is said that Nitrox will decrease fatigue. Nitrox has been credited with several advantages over plain ole air but for the life of me, I just cant seem to think of any.
I have never been fatigued from a dive and thank goodness, I have not had any DCS symptoms from diving.
And although, I do not like to dive deep, the fact that Nitrox limits your depth is a consideration.
With all that in mind, and all the other stuff I am sure you knowledgeable people will point out, what is the advantage of Nitrox?

Carribeandiver:
Often it is said that Nitrox will decrease fatigue. Nitrox has been credited with several advantages over plain ole air but for the life of me, I just cant seem to think of any.
I have never been fatigued from a dive and thank goodness, I have not had any DCS symptoms from diving.
And although, I do not like to dive deep, the fact that Nitrox limits your depth is a consideration.
With all that in mind, and all the other stuff I am sure you knowledgeable people will point out, what is the advantage of Nitrox?

Depending on dive profiles of courseIf i am diving all week ill dive it. If i am doing one dive i wont. But if you can get it in a timely manner and a reasonable cost why not nitrox? Search nitrox once you will find a lot here.

Lets see, have the ability to stay down longer or don't stay down longer?

Doesn't seem like much of a decision to me. If you can do the course for a fair fee and have good cheap access to Nitrox I would say go for it. Alot of livaboards offer Nitrox at no extra cost.

Whilst you wouldn't do every dive on it due to depth, if doing 4 dives a day on holiday you could do the last dive of the day on Nitrox. Gives you an extra margin of safety if you dive with others on air.

Carribeandiver:

1. If you dive between 50ish-120ish feet there is a real advantage to Nirtox- one's no decompression time is greater- sometimes almost doubled. When I dive with a large tank in 80 feet of water it is so worth it.

2. If you are doing multiple dives a day such as on a liveaboard trip there is a huge advantage with shortened surface intervals.

3. Some say you are less tired, but this has not been proven conclusive. I cannot feel a difference, but some swear they can.

4. The information one learns in class about oxygen toxicity, physiology, etc... is good information.

Disadvantages:

1. Depth limits based on one's mix (Not a disadvantage with proper planning)
2. Fills are expensive- as much as three time more
3. Special equipment considerations

I say take the course. It is only about $100 and the information is worth it.

Nitrox was developed by the Navy and commercial diving industry to increase bottom time and shorten decompression time. Nitrox has been in use since the at least the 1960's by the Navy and commercial divers. Recreational scuba resisted it for many years saying it was dangerous which has some validity in regard to PO2 depth limitations. A high PO2 hit is potentially more life threating than a DCS hit or nitrogen narcosis. The issue of feeling better after multiple dives is more perception than proven fact. Safety is relative to the tables used, diving nitrox on air tables will provide a greater margin of safety, on Nitrox tables it is probably equal to air on air tables if you push the limits of either.

Another plus for Nitrox is if you do any kind of dive vacation where your are diving +4 times per day Nitrox is the way to go.

increased bottom time and less surface interval time seems like two excellent points to consider Nitrox. Can that be translated to mean less chance of DCS?

Carribeandiver:
increased bottom time and less surface interval time seems like two excellent points to consider Nitrox. Can that be translated to mean less chance of DCS?
I think I've read on DAN publications that the difference is negligble, as DCS is just so rare anyway. It can happen, but so rarely, and so easy to avoid.

Those two reasons should be enough, tho - for the cheapsts course you'll take, and one of the most important course as a developing diver who would maybe like to dive the deepr wrecks with a more experienced diver as a buddy. See this thread on New Divers: $70 Nitrox Course - Three Hours
att.gif

DandyDon:
I think I've read on DAN publications that the difference is negligble, as DCS is just so rare anyway. It can happen, but so rarely, and so easy to avoid.

Those two reasons should be enough, tho - for the cheapsts course you'll take, and one of the most important course as a developing diver who would maybe like to dive the deepr wrecks with a more experienced diver as a buddy. See this thread on New Divers: $70 Nitrox Course - Three Hours
att.gif

I agree with Don and DAN.:wink: Those are the only two real reasons of major concern. The "chance" of getting DCS is ALMOST ALWAYS dictated by the diver's diving habits and not the gas one chooses. In fact, it has not been proven statistically yet that Nitrox will lead to fewer DCS hits but in the end, we all know that less nitrogen is typically better. The class is a good one even just for the material covered.

For me its not really a safety factor but in 100ft to 60ft it can mean more bottom time which I strive for. But it can be a safety factor by using it with air tables or computer. I found it very useful diving the Texas/LA Flower Gardens. First time I dove there with Gulf Diving I was pushing my NDL and having to go shallower than most of the divers so I could make every dive. Now with Nitrox its no longer a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom