Getting the stink out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flea Dog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I have a lycra skin I where under my 3 and 6.5 mm wet suits. Make them easier to put on, take off and eliminates that nasty rash at the elbow and knees. For me it is indispensable for comfort.

The problem is it stinks. After wearing a few times I put it in a solution which is supposed to eliminate odors in dive gear. Unfortunately, the suit still stinks and has the smell of the product that is supposed to eliminate odors. I tried hand washing in baby shampoo, and even washed it in the washing machine with several different laundry detergents without any effect.

I was thinking about soaking it in a baking soda solution, but I an a little nervous about what basic pH will do to the suit.

The only other thing I can think of is a flame thrower, but burning lycra stinks too.

I have no problem with my wetsuits. They never hold any smells.

Any useful suggestions would be appreciated, (be nice).

Thanks,
Flea

I wear the same lycra skin - "rashguard" - under my 7mm 2pc wetsuit and it began to stink.. I just through it in the washing machine and put in a little more soap than normal and its fine. If I can't do that shortly after a dive I'll hang it up and let it air out.

I know a few people that soak all their gear in a bathtub full of water and Listerine after a dive so it doesn't stink. Maybe it will work for your Lycra as well?

Is Listerine harsh on gear? I can't see how it would be, just throwing the question out there. What would be the ratio water to Listerine? Interesting...I have a pair of neoprene socks I wear in my boots, and for the first time I smelled them the other day - it was the most rancid, amonia like smell ever. The smell hit the back of my throat and made me gag big time...Just felt I should share that with you all. :)
What other things could one use to soak their gear in? Mild dish detergent, I've heard, is good. I don't know if that Sink the Stink stuff really works. I used it recently, and it really made no difference at all.

DiveTheRock... TMI... LOL!

I turn my booties inside out and let them bake in the sun after rinsing my gear, it helps a lot...

I use Kids 'N Pets, an enzymatic cleaner available in grocery stores, about $7 a quart (yes, quart). Designed to get out really nasty household stains, whether on rugs or in clothes.

Try some of that in the wash with the skin. For my neoprene I put a couple ounces in a tub, fill it with warm water, throw the stuff in. Swish the stuff around a few times, by hand, then let it soak a long time, then rinse.

i heard listerine was good for cleaning the inside of bcs too....

Most enzymatic cleaners are not supposed to be rinsed off. They keep on working as the garment dries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom