New diver buoyancy & a camera ..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D_B

Kimber/TekDiveGirl storyteller and memory keeper
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Don't take a camera if your new to diving, it's way to easy to get distracted.
I learned (again) that if your a new diver, you do not want to be preoccupied with stuff like a camera, (or spinning a lime in the water) :wink: It's too easy to not notice a small buoyancy change and get a large depth excursion started (did that)

D_B:
I learned (again) that if your a new diver, you do not want to be preoccupied with stuff like a camera, (or spinning a lime in the water) :wink: It's too easy to not notice a small buoyancy change and get a large depth excursion started (did that)

That is a good lesson learned!!

Thank you for sharing this with us, how deep did you end up?

D_B:

How negative was the camera? I dive with my camera in its Ikelite housing all the time. Its about 1/2 lb negative - not enough to send me too deep. All divers should always know and get use to thier gear on the surface before getting them wet.

Dave

Good call on knowing how to operate your gear on the surface, and that would keep your distraction limited.
In my case though, I was task focused, looking through viewfinder and did not notice a 1ft rise in depth, causing me to rise further before I could arrest my ascent and ended up 8ft higher than I started out .. I leave the camera home until I'm confident it won't happen again

I think the key is that you DID notice. Don't ditch the camera yet... Just be consious of your bouyancy before you attempt to take the shot.

BTW - who is this new diver you're talking about? :wink:

I'll go one step further....don't take a camera when you do a new type of dive for the first time.

For instance, I have a camera on every dive I take, but will be doing my first dusk/night dive in a couple of weeks. I plan to leave the camera on the beach as I feel my task loading will be too high to want to be distracted by the camera.

DiveMaven:
I'll go one step further....don't take a camera when you do a new type of dive for the first time.

For instance, I have a camera on every dive I take, but will be doing my first dusk/night dive in a couple of weeks. I plan to leave the camera on the beach as I feel my task loading will be too high to want to be distracted by the camera.
I just attach my flashlight to my camera housing, that way it's my primary light, and it's already aimed where I am looking, so taking photos is easy that way. :wink:

like this...
_DSC0004.jpg

Great idea on the light Howard!

new diver? .. don't know who it could be :wink:
next time I will be consious of my buoyancy before I mess with taking a shot .. or before doing anything for that matter :)

howarde:
I just attach my flashlight to my camera housing, that way it's my primary light, and it's already aimed where I am looking, so taking photos is easy that way. :wink:

like this...
_DSC0004.jpg
Me too Howarde. I enjoy having a light on my camera.

As for the OP's comments, just the fact that you are aware of the danger you could cause to yourself or the reef/environment as a "newer" diver taking photos tells me you will eventually be just fine.:wink: I also agree with the task loading comment.

scubadobadoo:
Me too Howarde. I enjoy having a light on my camera.

As for the OP's comments, just the fact that you are aware of the danger you could cause to yourself or the reef/environment as a "newer" diver taking photos tells me you will eventually be just fine.:wink: I also agree with the task loading comment.
I've dived with the OP on his home turf, and I think he's got nothing to worry about... he's a good diver, who is very conscientious about his diving. I think keep on taking the camera out D_B - Prepare to take your photo by settling down and, I usually go a little negative into a photo anyway, to get an upwards angle when possible. Give that a try...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom