NAUI-PADI interchangability?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcadwell

Reaction score
I have a NAUI Advanced Scuba Diver card. I'd like to add some more education, but I now live in a place with only PADI dive shops.

Do NAUI and PADI recognize any training reciprocity?

PADI only has two levels of recreational diver (Open Water and Advanced Open Water). NAUI has three (Scuba Diver, Advanced Scuba Diver, and Master Diver).

Is an Advanced diver from NAUI the same as PADI? Or do you need to be a Master diver from Naui...

I'd like to add a nitrox card, and can only go PADI in this location.

Yes there is reciprocity.

As for PADI, there are 4 levels of nonprofessional recreational diver:
Open Water Diver
Advanced Open Water Diver
Rescue Diver
Master SCUBA Diver

You can do Nitrox without any problem what so ever. Just need to be open water or equivalent.

... and yes the agencies to recognise each other.

Can also check here:

http://www.padi.com/english/common/courses/faq.asp

From key standards for padi nitrox:

KEY STANDARDS
Prerequisite Certification: PADI Open Water Diver* or qualifying certification
Minimum Age: 15
Student to Instructor Ratio: 8:1
Minimum Instructor Rating: PADI Enriched Air Instructor

so NAUI is fine to enroll on the course.

jcadwell:
I have a NAUI Advanced Scuba Diver card. I'd like to add some more education, but I now live in a place with only PADI dive shops.

PADI only has two levels of recreational diver (Open Water and Advanced Open Water). NAUI has three (Scuba Diver, Advanced Scuba Diver, and Master Diver).

Is an Advanced diver from NAUI the same as PADI? Or do you need to be a Master diver from Naui...

Until you reach professional levels, it doesn't matter which agency you take your classes with. When it's time to move to the next level, they will recognize each other's certifications as "equivalent" training.

PADI and NAUI each have more levels than you listed ... and the most important one you left out is Rescue Diver. They both offer it, and I believe it's the most important class any recreational diver can take.

FWIW - PADI Master Diver and NAUI Master Diver are not at all the same thing. There's a few discussions in here about the differences. Might be worth your while to dig around and read some of them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Continue your training

jcadwell:

Depends on exactly what you mean. They recognize each other's certifications, but they are different, so you can't switch agencies while in the middle of a class.

jcadwell:

True, as far as it goes, although PADI also has a Master Diver cert, it's not really another level in the same way in which NAUI's is another level. Rescue isn't really another level, although some agencies do require an Advanced certification (I don't understand the logic either and glad they all don't) before allowing you to take rescue.

jcadwell:

Not the same, but similar. NAUI's AOW has more academics and one more dive.

jcadwell:

Are you sure? Lots of instructors do not work at shops, many of the better ones don't. Check agency websites for lists of independent instructors, check at YMCAs and at colleges and universities.

Maule:
Where's Walter?

SW Florida.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom