Lobstering....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

N

nobends

Hi there. Still very new to this board, but I have been impressed by the threads so far. Glad it was recommended to me (by another poster on the diversdiscount.com discussion board).

Anyway, I am looking for some technique advice on lobstering (maine lobsters). Whenever I go out on the dive boats, most of the other divers are coming up with bags full of 2-4lb lobsters! I see a lot of them (in the NY/NJ wrecks) but everythime I try to get them, they scoot out of reach. Basically I am trying to move faster than them and just grab em. Very little success so far? Any suggestions from lobster pro out there on grabbing techniques? The boats are heading out again, and I don't want to miss out on any of the bugs!!

Thanks!

Hey Nobends,
That's not very big...We have crayfish here in New Zealand and I think that they are similiar to your lobsters.The feelers should be sensitive to touch and water surges when you move your hands.Here we can use a special hook that has no sharp point to pull them out of their crannies.Maybe you can do that.Try coming at them from behind or use the hook.
That's if it's legal where you are.When you catch one,cut it in half and rub garlic butter into the flesh and stick it onto the BBQ but don't forget fresh cracked pepper and rock salt.Just because it comes from salt water doesn't mean that it is salty enough,
Good hunting.
Gasman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom