SCUBA Gear Storage Outside

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jadeh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Rubbermaid storage shed on my patio up against the house. I'm storing my gear in this shed. It is insulated but not well, just an air space in the walls. Are there any considerations I should be thinking about in the storage of my gear in regards to temperature or any other factors to keep my gear in good condition between dives?

I know a lot of you have great ideas.

Up here in Northern Idaho some of my gear stays in a car ready to go 24-7-365. We have a very wide range of temps from tripple digits to sub zero.

Under those conditions, which are compounded by being in a vehicle I have never seen a problem.

Gary D.

Not a problem in SoCA. Just be sure to lock up your gear! Shouldn't be a problem anywhere else as long as your stuff is dry. I'd personally recommend not leaving neoprene in sub zero weather since once stiff, you'll probably pop more air cells than normal wear and tear. I'm sure metal fatigue plays is an issue when you move small sensitive parts between sub zero and room temp. Most SCUBA manufacturers recommend something sensible like 20-30*F (refer to yoru manuals).

I left my wet gear in my car overnight. Low was 20*F in Indianapolis. I just made sure to warm everything up before inflating my BC bladder. Didn't want it to pop because of ice crystals! :(

I'd want to make sure theres no residual water in any hoses (ie. inflator/deflator hose on the BC) incase the water froze, expanded, and cracked the hose. I would also try to warm everything up above freezing before donning it.
S.

Being single I have a spare bathroom devoted to scuba storage. Makes things easy for me. But in SoCal I don't think air temp gets cold enough to worry about outside storage.

Just make sure you have some airflow so that it doesn't mildew in the shed. You don't want it completely sealed tight. Occassionally air it out by leaving the doors open. Other than that, you should be good!

sardiver:
I'd suggest keeping your reg in the house and in a case.
Nothing like inhaling a spider... Yuck!

Or worse... a dirt-dobber-nest. Someone brought regs into my LDS to get serviced a dirt-dobbers had made a nest in the exhaust port entrances when it was left hanging in the garage. Could have been deadly at depth.,

see below pic they took of it.

ddobbler3.jpg

Boy, I don't even know what a dirt dobber is. Doesn't look like anything I want in my reg. Thought spiders were bad.

pir8:
Being single I have a spare bathroom devoted to scuba storage. Makes things easy for me. But in SoCal I don't think air temp gets cold enough to worry about outside storage.
My bathroom looked like a dive shop until I got the shed. I'm more concerned about the summer heat than the winter cold, doesn't usually get too cold here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom