New DSS bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c555

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everybody, today I did my first dive in my new bp/w from Tobin. Last weekend I met with TSandM and do it easy from the board and borrowed Lynne's LCD 30 wing and extra plate. We did one dive at Edmunds and I was instantly in love with the new setup. The next day I ordered a LCD 30 wing, med backplate, and hog harness. I also had my regs converted to a longhose with a 7' hose.

Today I went on a boat dive up in the San Juan islands. The first dive was at Cone island with a stairstep dive down to about 70 ft all around the island. Getting into the hog harness on the boat I actually found to be easier than with my jacket and integrated weights, contrary to what I expected. On the surface the wing did not push me face foreward like some people say it will, and was actually very comfortable. In the water my buddy and I practiced an airshare for the first time with the longhose, and it went OK but still needs a lot of work. The trim and streamlining was much better than with a jacket, and felt much more free. The only hard part is I had the hip D-ring positioned to far back so it was very difficult to clip off the SPG.

The next dive went much better. It was on a wall, and the plan was this: Decend to 30 ft, practice longhose deployment, decend to 100 ft with a max depth of 110, spend 5-10 minutes here, then begin to work our way up. This time the airshare at 30 ft went much better so we continued our descent. When we reached the bottom we looked around at 100-110 ft then began our ascent. My gauge read 70 ft, so I signaled to ascend to 50 ft, my buddy said OK and continued. I kept saying ascend to 50 ft, but he never did. I finally grabbed is gauge to see what it said and it read 50ft, while mine read 70. I tried to push some buttons on mine, but it was shot. I signaled this and we decided to ascend to 30ft for the rest of the dive. When we surfaced the computer still read anywhere from 15 to 70 ft, so it needs to be checked. Overall this was a very relaxing dive with the new BP being much more stable and enjoyable to dive.

My impressions of the new confiuration in general were that first it was much more streamlined. Everything was tight against my profile, and easier to find. The only hard thing to do was clip off the SPG, which was easier the second dive after I moved the D-ring foreward, and it was hard to get air to vent from the pull dump. Overall I love my new setup and based on my experience so far would reccomend Tobin's products to anyone who is interested. Oh, does anyone know what would have caused the computer to flip out on decent during the second dive? I want to get this fixed but would rather not send it in to the shop. Thanks everybody!

c555:
My impressions of the new confiuration in general were that first it was much more streamlined. Everything was tight against my profile, and easier to find. The only hard thing to do was clip off the SPG, which was easier the second dive after I moved the D-ring foreward, and it was hard to get air to vent from the pull dump.

I'll assume you're speaking of the rear pull dump. This means that you're not as horizontal as you could be. :wink:

SparticleBrane:
I'll assume you're speaking of the rear pull dump. This means that you're not as horizontal as you could be. :wink:

Your probably correct that I was not as horizontal as possible, but even when I nearly inverted my self it still didn't seem to be working. Some bubble came out, so it could be that I am just used to a dump that vents faster.

Is your wing bungeed? If it has bungees it would probably dump the air a good bit faster. Just a thought that popped into my head.

Most people frown on bungied wings for various reasons. :wink:
I'll guarantee that if it's DSS it's not bungied.

It's a DSS wing so no, it does not have bungees. I am also not about to go put bungees on it either.

c555:
Your probably correct that I was not as horizontal as possible, but even when I nearly inverted my self it still didn't seem to be working. Some bubble came out, so it could be that I am just used to a dump that vents faster.

Be sure when you pull the little string on the dump valve that you pull it up, which is toward the surface. If you pull it in a direction that naturally feels like up, which is toward your head, very little air will come out. Enjoy the rig, it's a great setup.

Jeff

c555:
and it was hard to get air to vent from the pull dump. Overall I love my new setup and based on my experience so far would reccomend Tobin's products to anyone who is interested.

A VERY common problem for new BP&W users. To correctly use the rear dump (OPV) you need to lift the valve UP as you pull the string. Remember where the bubble is. If you pull the string down (towards the bottom of the sea) you are moving the OPV away from the gas bubble.

Instead of pulling down, pull up towards the surface.

Good luck,

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
A VERY common problem for new BP&W users. To correctly use the rear dump (OPV) you need to lift the valve UP as you pull the string. Remember where the bubble is. If you pull the string down (towards the bottom of the sea) you are moving the OPV away from the gas bubble.

Instead of pulling down, pull up towards the surface.

Good luck,

Tobin

Thanks, I forgot to do this on these dives. I will remember it for the next time I go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom