Teaching prisoners to dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shakeybrainsurgeon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
A Reuters blurb today said that prisoners in Chino are being taught to dive while incarcerated, using a 7 m deep prison pool. They are later given commercial dive training to prepare them for underwater construction jobs. Officers note that racial tensions between divers tend to be lessened since they are forced to depend on each other for safety... (an observation from the school of "duh").

The C in C-card might now mean "convicted" ... from breaking rocks to nitrox? Enough puns.

If it keeps them straight, I'm all for it...but where can I get access to a 7 m training pool at state expense?????

Wow that's awesome--I'm all for it if it's good for them.

Chino, California ?

somebody did a study a few years back and prisoners who can find a job upon leaving prison (mostly because of training while in jail) have a very low reciditivism (?) rate, compared to those who can't find a job within (i forget) three or four months.

costs less to train a prisoner while in jail than to house him again when he breaks the law again ... so ...

this sounds like a good deal

somebody's gotta say it and I know I'm not the only one thinking it, but.... my first thought was.... disposable commercial divers

shakeybrainsurgeon:
A Reuters blurb today said that prisoners in Chino are being taught to dive while incarcerated, using a 7 m deep prison pool. They are later given commercial dive training to prepare them for underwater construction jobs. Officers note that racial tensions between divers tend to be lessened since they are forced to depend on each other for safety... (an observation from the school of "duh").

The C in C-card might now mean "convicted" ... from breaking rocks to nitrox? Enough puns.

If it keeps them straight, I'm all for it...but where can I get access to a 7 m training pool at state expense?????

Have you considered committing an arrestable offense and being sent to Chino?

I'm all for convicts serving their time in a cell, dining on bread and water, thinking about their crime and reading a good book. I'd rather tax $$$ be spent providing job training for non-lawbreakers that can't afford to pay for their own training.

As long as it is for Work then I'm ok with it. I'm sure they would be happy to pay back the training expenses once they are back on their feet.

Back
Top Bottom