long time under

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hockeyman

Registered
Reaction score
hi i was wondering about long divies are there any sertain equipment that i should look into and also the dives are njot very deep but in very strong current so how much gas do you think i should bring i think ill be under water for about 5 to 6 hours also im using a backplate for it and do you think i shoult have it on tight or loose because of the time and the added equipment

thnka alot mike

It's not clear to me why this is in the DIR forum?

If you are a DIR diver, you should have the necessary information to calculate your gas requirements. You should be diving as a team, and the fitting and adjustment of your equipment is something you should have been taught and does not vary with the dive.

Why is this in the DIR forum?
This will make me sound like a jerk, but I'll be much more willing to answer your questions if you would be willing to phrase them with correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling. Reading a run-on sentence that goes for almost 4 lines makes my eyes hurt.
This isn't meant as a flame to you in the slightest. It is meant as a request for you to make your posts more user-friendly. :)
I promise, people will take you more seriously if you phrase it in proper English.

hockeyman:
hi i was wondering about long divies are there any sertain equipment that i should look into and also the dives are njot very deep but in very strong current so how much gas do you think i should bring i think ill be under water for about 5 to 6 hours also im using a backplate for it and do you think i shoult have it on tight or loose because of the time and the added equipment

thnka alot mike

You're asking some very basic questions about what would appear to be an advanced dive. Can you explain a little more what you intend to do?

R..

Diver0001:
You're asking some very basic questions about what would appear to be an advanced dive. Can you explain a little more what you intend to do?

R..

It does sound like you are getting in a bit over your head... No pun intended!
Are you diving with a team?
Have you experienced deco diving before?

This is one scary poster.
On the 25th November he's starting cave diving.
On the same day he was asking about how many tanks a wreck diver can hold.
Earlier today he's talking about buying his first wet-suit.
In another post he doesn't seem to know that a tight crotch strap on long dives can get very uncomfortable. :wink:
Now he's demonstrating a lack of knowledge of his own SAC and how to apply it.
And finally he doesn't appear to know what DIR is or he wouldn't have posted in this forum....
This is Internet diving taken to the extreme.

hockeyman:

thnka alot mike

Here are the answers to your questions:

On long dives (or any dive for that matter), bring all equipment you need, no more, no less. In terms of gas, make sure you have enough gas to complete the dive and be sure to have reserves for yourself and your buddy. There should be enough to get both out safely. 5-6 hours is a long time and you need to think about deco obligations, placement of tanks, hydration and maybe food.

Wear the appropriate equipment tight/loose enough to be comfortable and capable to perform the dive.

Good luck!

SparticleBrane:
Why is this in the DIR forum?
This will make me sound like a jerk, but I'll be much more willing to answer your questions if you would be willing to phrase them with correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling. Reading a run-on sentence that goes for almost 4 lines makes my eyes hurt.

You are absolutely right: Your post does make you sound like a jerk.

Let me ask you, do you have a college education? I'm just wondering from where you rode in on your high horse.

It sounds to me like hockeyman may not be a native English speaker. Or he may not care to edit his posts to protect your fragile eyes. Either way, answer his question or don't answer his question. It's entirely up to you.

But I do wonder, why is your post in the DIR forum? Wouldn't it be better placed in alt.divers.dir.wannabe.grammarians? Aside from your obvious prowess in pointing out a "run-on" sentence in a DIR forum post, what is the extent of your DIR training?

As long as we're on the subject, let's analyze your post:

SparticleBrane:
This will make me sound like a jerk, but I'll be much more willing to answer your questions if you would be willing to phrase them with correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling.

You need to work on parallel structure. To be honest, this is really a low level, third grade mistake, but I'll help, because I can tell you like to help others. Try this: "... but I would be much more willing to answer your questions if you would be willing to phrase them with correct grammar..." or "... but I will be much more willing to answer your questions if you will be willing to phrase them with correct grammar..." Do you see the problem? Try to be more careful next time, would you? Will you?

SparticleBrane:
I promise, people will take you more seriously if you phrase it in proper English.

Oh, the many reasons a reader should take particular posts seriously. Or not.

Since this thread has nothing to do with DIR, it has been moved to Basic Scuba Discussions.

Please bring the discussion back on topic.

jonnythan:
Since this thread has nothing to do with DIR, it has been moved to Basic Scuba Discussions.

Please bring the discussion back on topic.
You should put it back in the DIR forum. Then I wouldn't have to look at it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom