I have a stupid question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

masonak1298

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm going to Aruba in June and I was wondering if I can pack my dive knife? I think I already know the anwser to this.

No problems - just make sure it is in your checked luggage, NOT your hand luggage, otherwise you will have trouble.

Mark

All the current security checks in place, and on my trip to Rodrigues last week, there was this idiot who was having a go at the security because they wouldn't let him take a whopping big fold-up knife/nailfile/scissors/etc unit on board in his hand luggage. Do people never learn???

Be sure the place you are diving allows knives. The park in Cozumel does not but I do not know about Aruba.

Yes, that is worth checking, but having said that, when I dived Coz I had my small BCD knife on my hose and no one said anything. And I have taken that with me everywhere I have dived over the last eight years.

If you had any concerns, you can always put it inside your BCD pocket – no one can see it, no one knows it's there (apart from you), and you've got it if you need it.

Mark

When diving in Cozumel, I leave the "big" knife at home. However, I carry a folding knife in a small pocket on my BCD strap. You can't tell what the pocket if for without opening it. On my last trip, one of the divemasters had a tangle of lines at the back of the boat. I heard him tell another DM, "What we really need is a knife" and the two looked blankly at each other. I whipped out mine. The DM gratefully took it and sliced through the knots, then said as he handed it back, "Gracias, senor, but you know you're not supposed to have that on the reef."
I took it and replied, "I know, but aren't you glad I did?"
The DM just laughed and answered, "Si!"
I continued to dive with the knife in the pocket. Just don't make a big production out of having one and use it ONLY when absolutely necessary (that means do NOT hack or dig at the reef or wildlife with it) and you should be fine even in areas where they are frowned upon.

When I dove in Aruba, I didn't have any problems carrying a small (2" blade) knife attached to my BCD. But the DM did say something to the guy who was carrying an 8" knife on his leg.

This seems to be trend lately. Small BC knives are good... Big knives are bad...

One other consideration is how you are getting to Aruba. If you are flying, then do like everyone has suggested and put your knife in your "checked" luggage. If you are coming in on a cruise, leave the knive at home and buy a set of safety shears. Cruise lines are famous for taking divers knives and not returning them until the end of the trip.

masonak1298:
I'm going to Aruba in June and I was wondering if I can pack my dive knife? I think I already know the anwser to this.

It's worth looking into this. Aruba may have inherited the Dutch laws on the subject, which outlaws pretty much any knife that didn't come in the package with a Barbie doll. Here in Holland the police look the other way if it's clear that it's part of your diving gear but I wouldn't trust on that.

If I were you I'd take scissors instead of a knife.

R..

P.S. If it is the way I think it is, then you'll probably be ok with a knife with a single edge that isn't longer than 3.5 inches. Stilettos (doubled edged knifes and knives with thin blades) will probably be prohibited.

Yeah, pack it in your checked bag, make sure it's in a safe place like a dry box so the TSA agent doesn't cut him/herself while digging around in your personal belongings. Otherwise they'll come after you if they get cut...and it will be your fault they were digging in your personal belongings.
Good luck and have a great trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom