Does the owner of your LDS dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One of the things I really like about Northwest Sports Divers, my current LDS, is that both of the guys who run the shop are out there diving actively. The shop may open a little later than I'd wish, but a big reason is because they spend their mornings underwater.

I don't know why that pleases me so much, except that I know these guys are really in touch with diving and divers and what divers need.

One might say that of course, all LDS owners dive, or why would they have acquired a dive shop, but the owner of my prior LDS rarely dives any more except for the police department.

So -- Does the owner of your LDS still dive?

TSandM:
One of the things I really like about Northwest Sports Divers, my current LDS, is that both of the guys who run the shop are out there diving actively. The shop may open a little later than I'd wish, but a big reason is because they spend their mornings underwater.

I don't know why that pleases me so much, except that I know these guys are really in touch with diving and divers and what divers need.

One might say that of course, all LDS owners dive, or why would they have acquired a dive shop, but the owner of my prior LDS rarely dives any more except for the police department.

as a former owner of an LDS ,sold it to a friend of mine who was retired from NYPD scuba team,I can say that an owner probably does not dive as much as he/she used to..No time for it.We try to go but things just get in the way at times.Now I teach there and manage the store at times for them and have the best of 2 worlds..I get to dive for myself at times now and go on trips and have the full disposal of a facility to stay in the business.

My Two Local LDS both have Owners that Dive, The Dive Shop Owner (Darrin) both teaches(both rec and tec) and gets out weekdays after work for Pleasure Dives. Aquasport Owner (Charlene) can be seen most weekends out with her 15 year old son (both always are diving doubles, usually 130's)

It is comforting for me to know that a my LDS owners are real divers. They have both made diving for me very infectious:D .

My LDS owners dive almost every weekend. They have trips that include Oriskany,spear fishing,other wrecks, treasure hunting and spearfishing tournaments almost every weekend. That is one of the many reasons I use them and recommend them to my friends.

My LDS was purchased years ago by a husband and wife team who were both avid divers. Sadly, the very well-liked husband died, apparently of a heart attack, while diving. His wife, equally well-liked, still goes on the occasional trip with the group, and she has excellent skills, but she does not dive as much as she used to.

TSandM:

Yep, My LDS has two locations, one 10 miles from my house. They also have a full service facility in Monterey. They operate a dive boat. All the staff are very active instructors with years of experience. Both our sons were certified at our LDS.

I've lived a couple of places and most of the LDS owners & employees seemed to dive a lot. However the diving they were doing was more tailored to getting other people to dive: Setting up trips, weekend lake diving, Instructions etc...

I can see how it would be difficult to dive a lot if it wasn't store related. They would just get so busy. I agree though, I think of my LDS as like a "dive consultant". If they aren't diving, their opinions may not seem as relevant.

We are closed every Sunday and encourage our students to come dive with us at our local quarry. We cookout,dive, share stories, and have a great time!! We usually have between 8-15 people join us........we have only been open a short time and when the season opens up again I hope to have more people join us :)

Our LDS owners dive with their classes, as well as on all the excursions they plan (Keys, Coz, Bonaire, Costa Rica, Belize, Roatan, Austrailia, etc.). Wouldn't quite know what to trust, if they weren't avid bubble blowers...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom