Does your local DIVE CLUB dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This thread was triggered by another (Does your LDS dive?).

I know the whole purpose of most dive clubs is to do just that...get out there and dive. They organize events, trips, and even training. However, I know of some "dive clubs" that are actually more of a social gathering place. They have monthly meetings, but there is rarely a diving oriented theme or activity. Some of these clubs are composed of members that have never dived together and, in fact, may have rarely dived at all in the last year.

So what kind of club do you have?

We have a new dive club, the Aquaholics, they will be doing a lot of diving as a club, as soon as the snow breaks. As for now, there is only so much we can do, like have speakers come in and talk about photography, reef concerns, and lots of other things......then when it gets warm again.......bubbles

I think that entire club dives are getting rare. People have comittments with kids, jobs, other activiites, etc.

Our club tries to have a couple of dives a year as a club. Usually at the local quarry or a quick weekend trip. I can't say that we have 100% turn out by any means. We do have some club trips that run pretty good though.

However, what we do see is groups of club members that get together and do their own mini-group trips and often open it up to any other member of the club. I think you'll find a majority of the clubs do stuff like this instead of organized events.

Of course we have people that are divers and are club members but haven't been diving in years. Go figure. But all are welcome, even the folks not certified and who want to be divers. You'll also have some people who dive alot, but never locally. Always on trips some where that warmer water can be found.

I think in some of the tech wreck locations with larger populations you might have some more stringent demographics of divers in the club. For example a New Jersey wreck diving club.

Sealancers dive!!!
We have organized club dives usually twice a month, and every Saturday and Sunday you can find us diving if the water is calm. We will usually have anywheres between 15-30 people at club events and most weekends there is 10-12 people diving together if the usual boatowners are diving.
We have our own Club House, 24/7 air fill station, meetings 1x month, and open M, W, F for service...i.e. vis, Hydro, reg service, and loaner gear....
We are lucky though to live in a local that diving is easy access......I dread the day my family moves back to the mainland......cold water.....burrrrrrr......

Our club had been running 2 club dives a month. I appears to be pretty active. We have trips to the Keys, out of country trips and monthly meetings.

Down Under Dive Club

The Indy Dive Club is a thriving, growing club that dives at least monthly, meets monthly and has shop sponsorship. Club events are really fun because of the great personalities involved. We have a private website for members to plan and coordinate the events. The club schedules trips and other activities that members are welcome to. This weekend is a diving weekend for us so bring some hot cocoa. Membership is $50 annually, but you get a 10 fill card to use, so it's really free. I checked the site, there are at least 70 members, some are families.

At the Gilboa event in October there were at least 40 people there. We had 2 OW classes, 2 AOW classes, several specialties and I finished my MSD there. It was the best event so far this year. Hopefully the dive this weekend will be as good.

I wouldn't be as far in my training had it not been for the IDC. It has kept me and several other divers diving regularly when we wouldn't have been inclined to. Great club!

We charter at least 2 boats a month, sometimes even more plus a shore dive at least once a month

The Marker Buoy Dive Club in Seattle, Wa dives 2 to 4 times a week with usually 5 to 15 members showing up. This goes on all year around. We meet once a month. Also there is usually one boat charter dive a month and several destination dives throughout the year. We currently have about 190 members.

I've heard there's a dive club around my area, but I have yet to see it. I *do* dive occasionally with my virtual dive club. (That would be you guys!)

I'm also trying to get together with the most ultimate mostly-freshwater dive club that exists... that being ISOSAD, of course. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom