"Advanced" Dives and new divers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheAquaticApe

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I received my OW last summer, did a handful of dives in florida over the winter, and received my AOW card this summer. I'm going down to the Keys in two weeks and would love to dive the Duane or the Spiegel Grove.

I was wondering if I'll actually be able to do this since I am new. I thought I'd try two days of beginner's dive and then a dive on one of the wrecks (if I'm allowed).

Any thoughts?

Chris

Well I know most boats require AOW cards for those or diving with an instructor. Those wrecks are wonderful but they could have some current more than you are used too, as well as be slightly deeper than you are used to. They will certainly allow you considering your AOW card though. Think about finding a shop that has a divemaster or instructor experienced on those wrecks that might be wiling to dive with you just for the comfort level as you become accustomed to a different kind of diving.

Do you have any experience with currents. There is a good chance of currents, especially on the Duane. Have you made a few dives down to the 90' range. You can cover both of those wrecks pretty well, and stay above 90', of course there is a lot of the wreck below that depth.

If I remember correctly, Horizon Divers in Port Largo offers what they call guided dives of those wrecks. i did not see anyone doing that when I went with them, but they say a dive master dives with a small group on those wrecks for an additional fee.

Might be something to look into.

TOM

Yea I would definenlty try something guided just to put you at ease comfort wise, as long as you don't get complacent. Being relaxed will certainly help you get the best out of your air though.

I can only go on my own (limited) experience. My first "real" open ocean dives were in the Gulf of Mexico and I was pretty "green" when I did them. Like you, I had gotten my OW and done a couple dozen dives, then gotten my AOW and dived a few times in Cozumel (NOT the same thing as open ocean, by the way). The Gulf was running a bit high for our type of operation when I went (3-6 foot swells, with currents ripping along at a pretty good pace. Sure, I made it fine, but I had trained for the occassion because in terms of diving experience I was the 'baby' of the boat. However, there were still others who struggled with the conditions and still others who made it but clearly weren't having too much fun.
In short, if conditions are favorable and all goes well, you should be fine. However, we're trained to be ready when things don't go as planned (and let me tell you, things can go south in a HURRY), and part of that training is honestly assessing your abilities and skills, then making the appropriate decision. For example, if you know you task load on "perfect" dives with good conditions, will you have the clearheadedness to call a dive if conditions turn rough? Only you can answer it.
As for the dives you mentioned, I defer to the wisedom of the experienced SB members ('cause I don't know a thing about them, except for what I've read, and that's a poor witness). I have complete faith that they'll guide you well.

Welcome to the board.
Having dove the Grove several times I would suggest you at minimum find an experienced diver who is willing to buddy up with you. The current on these wrecks can be wicked, combine that with the depth and excitement of a new diver and you have a sure formula for sucking air quickly.

My only current dive on the Duane was #33 for me. Really enjoyed it, even though my instabuddy was an idiot. After that dive I decided I'm never going to have an instabuddy again.
Currents are common on both and were strong the day I was out there; it came up about halfway through the dive. One second everything was calm, the next there was a ripping current.
Watching people's bubbles go up at a 45º angle was quite interesting.

Yea, there is a descent line, but you should certainly have a saftey sausage or some kind of surface marker for a dive in the open water with currents like that. Just a thought.

I concur that you should find a more experienced buddy or think about going with a DM. The first dive I did on the Grove I really enjoyed, but there were a tense few minutes for me when the father and son team I insta-buddied with went inside the wreck for a couple of minutes. There was no way I was going inside, so I waited, but even then I was getting close to my own comfort level and was considering heading back to the ascent line.

So if you decide you are ready for these dives, try to find a buddy who knows what you expect and is willing to go with you.

Unfortunately from what I can tell the wrecks in Key Largo are either old and falling apart and shallow (Benwood) or quite deep and possibly a lot of current (and spectacular) (Duane, Bibb, Grove). Maybe someone else can recommend some dives that are more moderate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom