Interacting with marine life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tulambi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
When I had my first contact with scuba diving (DSD) the DM brought us an octopus to play. Since then when I see an octopus I cannot help it and I usually take out of its hole (not violently) , if I can and play with it, then I let it go. I really enjoy playing with octopuses since they are one of the few animals you can easily touch and interact with. I was wondering how harmful/stressful this could be for them in the long term.

You opened up a can of worms here... Don't be surprised if you get flamed by a bunch of tree huggers.

I'm with fish here but... :popcorn:

I'm not going to say what you're doing is intrinsically wrong, but how would you enjoy being ripped from your home so someone could play with you?

Aside from that. In some places, molestation of marine life is prohibited (against the law) - are there SCUBA cops that are going to write you a ticket? I don't think so, but it's a fine line between fascination and molestation. Be cautious, and respect the wishes of the creature.

If it wants to leave...let it.

Now excuse me... there's a tree that needs hugging.

If the octo wants to come out of his hole to play with you, no problem. Otherwise, leave it alone. As howarde said, how would you like it? Scare the s..t out of you.

With anthropomorphizing the critter by giving it emotions, hopes, wishes, dreams, whatever - I'd think that repeated contact might cause it to move to another location where contact is a more seldom thing (preventing other divers from getting to see it). That said, if you want to see them out of their holes, go night diving. I love watching them when they are out and about hunting.

be warned from the blue ring one....you'll never make it home if you missed with that one!

Richesb:
Look but don't touch!
I'm no "tree hugger". Just a responsible diver.
Please say "Take only pictures... Leave only bubbles..." That's my favorite "responsible diver" quote.

Just hang your hand there. If you're lucky it may be curious and stick at least an arm out to check you out. I'm not against all interaction, but I agree with the folks who say "how would you like someone to pull you out of your house?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom