Diving the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DOkie

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Little background noise first. I am OW and AOW certified with ice diving. I dive the Great Lakes and have run into just about every situation you can on these bodies of water. I'm comfortable in cold water, zero vis., currents, waves, etc. Problem is I'm going to Florida in April and I am absolutely TERRIFIED!!! (ha ha). There is just something about being in a body of water where I am located somewhere on the food chain. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited, but I just have that feeling that stepping off the back of a boat there is going to be one of the bigger challenges in life. Do I need to stop watching the discovery channel or what??? Any tips from you warm water divers? I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

DOkie:
I'm comfortable in cold water, zero vis., currents, waves, etc. Problem is I'm going to Florida in April and I am absolutely TERRIFIED!!! (ha ha).

yes, warm water, good viz and lots of coral and fishies can be a scary thing !....just consider anything bigger than you is a good photo op.

but keep in mind - just cause its warm, its not always easy....currents can quickly kick up on the deeper wrecks....(or sometimes there are none)....good luck

No worries. IF, and I mean IF you are lucky enough to even see something big enough to eat you in the Keys, chances are you will want to get closer to it, rather than run from it. Trust me, you will be able to tell it (shark perhaps) really has no serious interest in you. I have seen ONE shark diving in FLorida in 5 years. I hope your luck is better and trust me, you will too when or IF you see "it." You will have a blast!

I learned to dive in the environs in which you learned. The transition was pretty much instant when I hit warm water. The vis is 10 times better and you can dive in swimming trunks.

Mind your nav skills and pay attention to the current & you should have no problems. Those ocean currents can rip at times, so just keep track of your position and some day you'll never be back in those icy waters!

Just make sure you can outswim your buddy. :D

Seriously, there is nothing to worry about. You've been watching to many movies.

TOM

Don't worry about the big things...

shark12.JPG

the scariest thing that happened to me while diving there was coming down with 'keys fever' now i just want to move there... you will be spoiled by the warm water too and going home will be a real bummer.

Bah! The big things...dolphins, sharks, groupers....don't have to worry about them...it's the dang damselfish you have to watch out for! Pound for pound, the meanest fish in the water ANYWERE! :D

Happy diving! Don't let them little buggers push you around too much...

gangrel441:
Bah! The big things...dolphins, sharks, groupers....don't have to worry about them...it's the dang damselfish you have to watch out for! Pound for pound, the meanest fish in the water ANYWERE! :D

Happy diving! Don't let them little buggers push you around too much...

THat is funny, I forgot about them

My first dive in Bimini, I got too close to a nest in the sand, and that little guy would not leave my knee caps alone, and I was wearing a shorty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom