DPV Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBuoy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just got my DPV cert. It was a blast. I'm laughing at myself because it took years to finally take this class. It was a DPV that started me into scuba. I saw a DPV at a dive shop and asked how I could get certified to use it ...

Numerous times I signed up for DPV classes that were cancelled due to insignificant interest. The couple of shops I've taught for don't have DPVs. I certainly wasn't ready to plop down the money without trying one first.

I went for a drive recently to explore more remote scuba shops. I found a DDS (distant dive shop) that teaches the DPV speciality and signed up for a class that was already on the scheduled.

It's amazing how much your streamlining flaws are emphasized by a powerful DPV motor. You go about 3 times faster than a decent pace under fin only propulsion. When you start the motor it yanks you. Just to hang on - there is some strength that you must continually apply with your biceps (and a few muscles I didn't know I had :).

DPV riding makes a great case for having one of those foldup snorkels to put in your pocket - just to meet standards. Because the one attached to my mask - no matter where I positioned it - kept flapping and annoying me. I have a hoseless computer with compass on a retractor but forget checking it while holding on with both hands (I couldn't one arm it no matter how hard I tried). So you have to stop the DPV to get bearings. Anyway it convinced me that if the DPV was mine personally I would mount this computer and compass directly on the vehicle.

Another complaint I had was battery life. These batteries represented 1995 technology. Since the instructor required us to read the operator's manual I was familiar with all many requirements surrounding charging, using, and maintaining the battery. What a bunch of jumps through hoops and standing on ones nose! As a many generational mobile/cell phone owner I can tell you that batteries have come a long way since these DPVs were manufactered. I'd love to see a 3 hour or more battery life out of some sort of Metal Hydride or even more modern battery type. Basically the mfg says when the pitch of the motor changes - you risk deep discharging the battery. It's been like 5 years since I've even heard of batteries with a "memory" like these. Anyway, I'll invest in another 5 years when they figure out some of these limitations.

One last thing, the DPV weighs 40 pounds out of the water, and if you bring a spare battery along - more. It's awesome in the water about 2 lbs negatively buoyant, but considering the hydrodynamics of that bulk - I'd hate to be the victim who ran out of battery power and had to tow that lugger back to the exit point <good grief that would suck water big time>.

I have never used a DPV or (scooter) as most people call them, but it is my understanding that most scooter divers clip the scooter to a D-ring on the crotch strap so that the scooter tows you and you glide through the slipstream just using your arms and hands to direct the scooter and not so much to hang on to it. You might check out the WKPP website, those guys probably know more about using scooters than anyone. There are others on the board who know more about scooters and their usage, and I am sure they will be along soon.

According the MI that instructed me. There is a clear distinguishing feature between DPV and Scooter. Supposedly DPV implies that you have a seat or attachment for the diver to connect into OR a place where your knees fit into the sides. A scooter is everything else. But then he told some interesting history about about all the misnomers in advertising surrounding DPVs, and he told about a few units that defied classification. Apparently though the manufacturer doesn't make the attachment anymore, the DPVs we were riding still had the attachment points on the shroud and grips where it was supposed to go.

One of the things we discussed at length (and a very important part of the requirements for DPV handling) were contingencies in the event of a runaway vehicle. The first three depend on circumstances the final one is a last resort but certainly the easiest option:

1. Ride it out safely till the battery dies (as long as no other diving limits are reached).

2. Aim the shroud into a safe location on the bottom and hold it until the battery runs out.

3. Foul the prop. PADI suggests game or gear bag or knife but not your console or hand of course.

4. Let it go (weeee! and bye bye money.

Wow, I wasn't aware that a DPV was actually the ride on version. I have seen a Farralon before and it was a ride on DPV, personally the Gavin scooter is something I would like to one day own and use, I just don't see the benefit in a ride on DPV, it seems like you would make a much bigger profile on the ride on type then you would being pulled through the slipstream of a Gavin. I guess maybe the DPV ride on types might have some advantages in some situations, I just don't know enough about them to understand how they would work as well as a good Gavin. By the way, could you tell me about the DPV class, was it DPV specific, or do they teach you on any type you want to use? How long is the class and what organization did you take it through. I agree with you on option number 4, it would be hard to let go of a 3-4 thousand dollar piece of equipment, but then again not being a DPV user, I have never really thought about having to handle a situation like that, it would no doubt be interesting though...

After resisting for a year, I took DVP last weekend and you are right what a blast! We used the little yellow torpedo shaped one whose manufacture escapes me now. The first 30 seconds I was not constantly applying throttle and porpoising, after that it was like a waverunner at depth! Just use constant throttle.

JT2 - I don't think riding with DPV attached is in the book (PADI) any more, I don't recall reading that and honestly I wouldn't want to be attached if the throttle got stuck in the on position. We did clip them off for the swim/tow portion of the exercise. The one we used was about 35-40 pounds on land and was supposed to be 1 pound negatively bouyant. It really wasn't that bad to either tow or carry. My course was PADI specialty course. We used DPV that the instructor owned (my LDS has all the cool toys). We had books, test, class time, maintenance & repair & dives. I hope to use one this summer on a trip. The letting it go bye-bye is offered as a course of last resort, but remember no trinket is worth dying over.

I really enjoyed the tandem riding, I like being a passenger and checking out the site without having to do the work, but you do have to be streamlined, any drag throws off your course as does dropping a fin - point your fins back.

DiverBouy - do you know how fast they travel? Couple friends were asking and I have no clue.

Dacor used to mfg the one I was on. Apollo has some tie in with the history too. But Apollo is in chapter 11 or 13 (can't remember which). They sell equipment only to individuals, no shops or distributors.

As for the appearance: profile view it looks like a flattened yellow torpedo. With a big round vented gaurd over the prop.

It goes 2+ miles per hour. It doesn't have variable speed - only on or off. Really yanks you when it takes off though. Today my shoulders and biceps are really smarting - had to take quite a bit of ibuprofen.

I'd have to agree about clipping the diver to the vehicle, the way that thing thrusts you through the water (about 3 times faster than a solid pace with fins). I wouldn't want to be attached if it got stuck in open throttle :eek:

Guess that's why Dacor/Apollo stopped making the rigging that used to attach to it. Also I've never personally seen any DPVs that you can sit in, but the MI at the shop where I took the class said they existed (past tense).

As an aside there is that new SeaDoo DPV (that's what they call it but it doesn't meet that classification). Sells for around $400 on EBay. It looks really sexy but when the shop where I took the class tried out a sample they said it wasn't powerful enough. Which is a bummer, cause for that price I was ready to fork out.

JT2 once bubbled...
By the way, could you tell me about the DPV class, was it DPV specific, or do they teach you on any type you want to use? How long is the class and what organization did you take it through.

DPV specific - according to PADI the certifying org, they are all conducted that way. In addition to the Adventures in Diving Chapter on DPV, we had to actually read the Dacor Owner's manual and discuss the contents at the dive site briefing. The class was a 2 hour lecture with the DPV as a prop. Then 2 days later 2 beach dives using the unit. The skills required for the class basically involve tandem riding (or more like laborious towing :wink: - on the surface and and underwater. Between dives we learned the proper procedure in changing the battery, and dealing with o-rings. The rest of the class was pure fun!

Hi

I love the Farallon scooters, If your looking for more burn time you may want to look at Silver Zinc batteries, they give you a longer burn time than regular sealed lead acid batteries now being used on scooter.

Master Chief

front.jpg

The Ultimate the K10 Hydro Speeder 8 knots

It uses an aluminium frame with forward flight controls to operate a set of wings and independently operated port and starboard motors. The idea is to give you the kind of manoeuvreability that allows you to do banked turns and corkscrews through the water.
But here's the best bit. You plug your low-pressure air hose directly into the vehicle, which has a fully integrated buoyancy and breathing system, so no need for a separate BC, tank or regulator - just hang on and enjoy the ride.
A dashboard with on-board systems data and dive computer will give you all the information you need during a dive with the HydroSpeeder, including decompression data and air pressure.
The American-made craft has a burn time of 1.5 hours, costs US$6650, and must be ordered direct from Georgia in the States.

Marine Gear Corp Inc, 001 770 638 9222

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom