1st doubles dive and my thoughts...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok, I did my 1st doubles dive yesterday on New Years. First thanks to my dive buddy who let me try out his Double OMS 112's. Thanks, Clif.

Now on with the show...

I didn't have any problems with the doubles. I didn't have any rocking or head over issues at all. My buddy said I looked really good in them (trim, etc). I was using OMS LP 112's. They were heavy walking down to the water and the walk back to the truck was not really fun. I liked the idea of having that much gas on my back and I didn't have to swap out tanks like I normally do.

My Thoughts after 24 hours....

Too heavy!
Okay so they weigh nothing in the water but since almost ALL of my dives are shore dives I have to walk with these monsters on to and from the shore.

Double regulators!
I guess this is not too big of an issue. I have several regulators myself but they are not all the same. I also noticed that it would probably be best to "dedicate" 2 sets of regulators for the double settup.

Don't really need to dive doubles...yet!
I'm just rescue certified and although I see tech in my future, I only do recreational dives currently. My single HP 119 and LP 95's give me plenty of air. I usually come back after a 40 min dive with over 1200 PSI left in my tank! I'm limited by NDL time not gas anymore. Also I don't dive very deep. I stay within 130'.

Think it would be just as well to sling a 40cuft bottle if I needed some redundancy. Like I said, I'm a recreational diver. If I have to use the 40cuft bottle then the dive is OVER and I'm ascending. 40cuft should be plenty for my dive profiles.

I watched all the other divers yesterday about half were diving doubles and the other half was diving singles. Everyone's dive lasted about the same time.

So my thoughts are (for me at least). I don't NEED doubles now. When I get into the type of diving that "requires" doubles I will put a set together. Even then, I will use my single tank setup mostly for local dives. I was all out to put a set of doubles together before yesterday but now they will have to wait until I can actually sign up for my tech training.

J:

I agree with you... Every application is depending on the circumstance. Not one set up can apply for all dive sites...

I'm a relatively new doubles diver (about 150 or so doubles dives), but I would say this:

A single doubles dive does not a doubles diver make.

Do ten to twenty dives with your doubles, and then see what you think. You might be surprised.

I strong agree with u, depend circumstances and dive plan, double need good fitness, try more u will love it

If you are headed for tech the sooner the better for your doubles. Its true that you may be doing singles tank dives and profiles. Nonetheless when the time comes that you need doubles you will be ready.

Try some smaller tanks such as 80s or 100s. I havent used single tanks in cold water for some time now. Even in the 100 ft range they add a measure of safety and flexibility. Not trying to talk you into anything you are not comfortable with though.

I haven't played with doubles but thought long and hard last year about getting them. Then decided against it.

Less than 10% of my dives are boat dives, and I'm limited by either NDL or thermal protection on my dives. After 45 min in 44 degree water, I'm ready to get out.

I added a 40 cf pony to my setup to give me some redundant air (and more than just "get straight back to the surface").

Having said all that, I think that somewhere down the line I'll be taking some deco & wreck penetration courses, so eventually I'll have to go to doubles. But I've got time :)

JkSteger: One thing I can tell you is that having that 40 hanging off your left side while hiking through rocks and logs on a shore dive entry isn't all that much fun either :)

Like said above , try smaller tanks LP85's or Hp100's next time , you may like it better.

I dunno, I think I have about thirty or forty doubles dives now, split between the 72s and the 85s.

I agree with you. They are HEAVY, and hard to move around on land. They are big and stable and make certain things (like shallow stops) MUCH easier in the water. There's also the convenience of getting two or three dives out of a set before they have to go back to the shop for a fill.

But the main reason I'm diving my doubles all the time is that I'm preparing for cave training. Having my buoyancy fine-tuned in double tanks is a must for cave, but so is being able to schlep them around on land, and manage not-so-easy entries and exits.

Oh, I agree. They ARE heavy. I dove some double AL80s for my cavern course down in Mexico and i nearly died from lugging those things around (ok, so I'm only a 5'5" 105lb woman and the setup was approximately my own body weight, but still). They were awesome in the water though. Made me feel so much more stable once I got used to them, but they're a pain in the butt on land.

Makes me want to get rebreather training just so I don't have to lug those things around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom