• Makes me less tired than air.

Votes: 120 51.5%
  • Makes me more energetic than air.

Votes: 20 8.6%
  • Makes me feel worse than air.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My sister, a PhD from MIT, insisted that I need to get nitrox cert. I said that from what I've read, my style of diving will not benefit from nitrox.

She insisted that it makes her feel less tired, and it has more beneficial effect than just preventing DCS .... I don't question her opinion, but how many regular nitrox users feel the same.

Please don't reply to the survey if you don't use nitrox.

I find that slow ascents make me feel good.

Then again Nitrox makes me feel good because I get to extend my bottom time :wink:

I agree with Jeckyll- slow ascents feel much better regardless if it's using nitrox or air. I also think that nitrox is more narcotic than air, but that's probably an unpopular view. :D

I notice no difference to using air at all.

I DO notice a difference doing deco on 100% but for general no-stop nitrox back gas diving ive not noticed the slightest difference.

Its not been proven to make people feel better or not, likewise statistically its not safer than diving air.

The other never-proven statement is about narcotic factor of nitrox vs air. One school says has Oxygen as equally as narcotic so no difference, the other camp says its less so nitrox isnt as narcotic. I cant say ive noticed any difference either.

I agree with the above, a slow steady rate ascent, possibly some 1 or 2 minute deeper stops and a nice long shallow stop without saw toothing etc is much more likely to get you out feeling good regardless of gas used.

I didn't vote since I don't use it.

We dive multiple dives/day per weeklong divetrip. My buddy used to get headaches more than once per week on this schedule, the kind that would put him in bed early.

He got his Nitrox card two years ago, since then not one headache doing the same(or more) diving. I realize this is hardly scientific, but he attributes it to Nitrox.

Interesting comment sjspeck... As I recall, my sister had fainting spell several years ago. Work up by some neurologists revealed a blood flow problem to the brain, explaining why she fainted with certain position, I believe.

Perhaps for people with circulatory problem to the brain might benefit from the extra kick of oxygen.... Especially if they are diving with a tight hood or collar.

Not really. The blood is already saturated long before that.

You utilise typically 4% Oxygen per breath. Higher O2 content just means you breathe it out. The whole point of nitrox is not to increase O2 content, it reduces nitrogen/inert contents - it just so happens that O2 replaces it.

Under pressure with even higher PPO2s then blood will definately be saturated to the extent the extra O2 content in nitrox will make no difference.

Currently we have a sample size of 14, with 9 saying no, and 5 saying yes.

That is a statistical significance.... as we would expect 14 no's to 0 yes. Or at most, 13 to 1.

Are we a bunch of misfits on Scubaboard, because we are not matching the studies done in the past????

"Feel good" is near impossible to investigate properly. Its an entirely subjective view point which changes from person to person and the placebo effect can be high.

Im not aware of any studies of the tiredness thing saying either way.

Edit:- surely 2 of the options are the same, "less tired than air" and "more energetic than air" ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom