Basic Certification???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just joined the site and think it is great. I received my basic PADI certification over 30 years ago but haven't done any diving in the last 25. My log book has been lost for years. I am heading to Jamacia on vacation in February and want to rediscover the thrill.

I know I am in desperate need of a refresher course and I will receive "basic" tourist instruction while in Jamacia and will be able to partake in some of the daytime dives. That taken into account, I think I can do the tourist dives without any PADI certification and wonder if it's even worth my while or expense to get my PADI card re-issued - or should I wait until I upgrade my Basic to an Open Water? I think that if Jamacia goes as I hope, I'll most likely do more diving in the future.

What is the differences between a Basic certification and an Open Water certification?
Thanks for your input. :D

hmmm.....

well....

if i were you, i'd assume i needed to start from scratch and ... start from scratch

you have a few options:

1. do classwork now (tight schedule, i know) and do your certification dives in Jamaica;

2. arrange to take class and dives in Jamaica;

3. simply do the "resort" dives (what you call the "basic" instruction) and see how you like it, and then take the class back in the states.

i think 25 years without diving basically renders you a non-diver ... sorry...

I concur with H2's response.

Well your card lasts for a lifetime but honestly I would encourage you to do a complete course over again. There have been a lot of changes and a simple refresher isn't very thorough.

Thanks, No sorry required because I agree with you.

I think I already knew the answers I may be hearing by posting the question and I also think - like you suggest - to use this Jamacia trip and their sponsored tourist dives to see if I do want to get back into it. Maybe I can get my wife interested as well :wink: .

If all goes well, I start from scratch. I'd be scared to death to think the things I learned 25 years ago are still current and the equipment hasn't changed.

Love the board though - Great Information!

midwestbiker:
I think I need to quit reading the posts (kidding) re: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=171602
"Scary Story..." talked about the resort "discover SCUBA dives" and really makes one think.

I can only hope the dives I go on are safe.

At least you have some prior knowledge and hopefully will be able to keep yourself out of the situation in the other thread. I took a 9 year hiatus from diving but took a refresher course and didn't have any problems jumping back into it. The resort course is probably the way to go to see if you're still interested. Perhaps some others on here would know of a reliable shop in Jamaica that offers resort courses so that you know you are in good hands.

I'm heading to an all-inclusive that includes the diving and snorkeling (Couples Negril) and am counting the days!

Is anyone on this board familiar with them or had experiences with them? Sure hope there is a shipwreck in about 30 feet of water in a protected cove without much current.....

I don't believe some resort courses are safe. At least one agency does not teach any buoyancy control in their resort courses, requiring the instructor to manipulate the student's LPI and dump valve. In my opinion, that is an unsafe practice and it's already resulted at least one very serious double accident.

Walter:
I don't believe some resort courses are safe. At least one agency does not teach any buoyancy control in their resort courses, requiring the instructor to manipulate the student's LPI and dump valve. In my opinion, that is an unsafe practice and it's already resulted at least one very serious double accident.

Agreed -
I took a resort course in Mexico. While I felt it was very thorough and well done, considering the minimal time requirements (PADI), I see what I missed when I got home and took my OW Cert (SDI). I don't recall being taught any buoyancy and remember that I was slightly negative during the one dive. I think our max depth was about 40 feet for 35 minutes or so.
S.

Back
Top Bottom