Buddy diving beyond training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I don't know if this is unusual or not, but there is an individual that I occasionally dive with, who (to the best of my knowledge), experiments with diving techniques beyond his training. The best that I know this diver, certification- wise, is of about the same level that I am (rescue diver), with perhaps a few more dives than I have (about 100). I am in no way saying that self training isn't possible in some areas, but it just doesn't seem very wise in my opinion. I know he's been experimenting with solo & decompression diving with no formal training & has recently been trying to pass himself off as a technical diver. To their credit most of the technical divers around here have been smart & asked to see his credentials & refuse to do any technical diving with him, when he can't produce them. He's basically trying to get by with a don't ask, don't tell philosophy. He is ambitious with his diving, but doesn't seem to want to go through the proper channels to get there. When I dive with him I watch him very closely for signs that he's going to do something I would consider unsafe. I do not go beyond my training. If he starts to go into a situation I'm not equipped to handle or a profile beyond recreational limits, I will thumb the dive and head for the surface. If he follows or not is his choice. He doesn't stray from the plan every time, but does occasionally. I believe firmly in the buddy system, but it is a 2 way street. I have dove with technical divers many times & I am not shy about letting them know where my limits are, & they respect it. I have nothing against technical diving, in fact I may get into technical diving someday, but right now I know I have to get many techniques perfected first & I'm in no hurry. I see some of the things this buddy is attempting to do & do not see a good outcome form it. Unfortunately talking to him does no good. He seems hell bent on doing what he's doing. I feel by receiving proper training you are prepared for situations that you may not even think about when you self train. Is this common occurrence or just a buddy that I'd be best just to not dive with?

From my limited perspective- Scenario #1- your "buddy" goes beyond your limits and leaves you basically solo diving. Scenario #2- Goes beyond your limits and gets into trouble. Perhaps you respond into a situation you are not trained or ready for. I don't think you are comfortable with either of these. Scenario #3 - You thumb the dive and leave him, he gets into trouble and you forever regret the outcome because you weren't there (even if you shouldn't have been). That takes too much out of the fun of diving for me, and says that your "buddy" does not respect your limits. If it was me, I'd find a new buddy.

Agreed Merxlin. This can only end in tears. Worst case scenario he gets into trouble and you feel it necessary to push through your comfort barrier to rescue him....the outcome could be terrible. Explain to him your concerns, and make it clear that either he stays within the limits agreed upon PRIOR to the dive, or he needs to find someone else as reckless as him to dive with.

yeah... that's not a buddy

you really need to do yourself a favor and not dive with this person anymore. you are basically saying "i don't feel comfortable diving with this person," otherwise you wouldn't have posted this

what does that tell you? you don't feel comfortable diving with him. trust your gut. don't dive with him.

i know this is easier said than done, and you don't want to piss him off or hurt his feelings. do you want your family and friends at your funeral crying when you get killed thanks to him?

i'd just make myself unavailable any time he wants to dive. if he asks you "why don't you dive with me anymore," answer him honestly. otherwise, i'd just let it lie.

Questions like this are self explanatory. You know what to do. Just tell him and if he refuses, dive with someone else.
As for you buddy, if you really care for him, sign him up for a class, take it with him. Give it to him as a gift. You might just save his life.

Dave

Teamcasa:
Questions like this are self explanatory. You know what to do. Just tell him and if he refuses, dive with someone else.
As for you buddy, if you really care for him, sign him up for a class, take it with him. Give it to him as a gift. You might just save his life.

Dave

This is an excellent way to deal with this behavior. He doesn't sound dumb, just ignorant. In the sense that he's gotten lucky so far, but he's putting the burden on other people that don't have the training to save his bacon either.

To get involved in training that will help both of you understand the advanced procedures he's getting involved in and take the mystery out of what is/is not a good idea.

You are all correct. I have basically been avoiding diving with him as much as I can. Yes,it does make me uncomfortable & I do express my limits of comfort before &, if needed durng the dive. Like Isaid before, a lot of the time he goes with it, but sometimes not & I can't predict when he's going to stray. I have several others I can dive with, so that's not the issue. The biggest issue is he calls me wanting to dive & when I tell him I'm not comfortable with some of the things he does, he just doesn't get it. He thinks that because he has most of the equipment & trappings of a tech diver that everyone should accept it that he's a tech diver. Anyway thanks for the validation of my concerns.

BrianO:
This is an excellent way to deal with this behavior. He doesn't sound dumb, just ignorant. In the sense that he's gotten lucky so far, but he's putting the burden on other people that don't have the training to save his bacon either.

To get involved in training that will help both of you understand the advanced procedures he's getting involved in and take the mystery out of what is/is not a good idea.

I will eventually take some more advanced classes, but for now, like I said in the original post, I know I'm nowhere near ready for that. I want to have my basic techniques down pat. I've always believed in training step by step & until I get the basics perfected, see no reason to try to make a jump that big.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom