C-Card information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Horn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just looking at my newer C-Card and wondering if it could be better:

C-Card has
name
Diver #
Birthdate
Cert Date
Instructor #
Instructor name
LDS #
LDS Name
LDS address
LDS ph #
Padi Ph #'s
Photo

The LDS stuff is more than half the information on the card and totally useless. Most people will hardly ever be back to the LDS that certified them.

It would be better to include things like OW Cert Date, Blood type, Spouse or Emergency contact #, even making the divers name bigger would be good.

My latest card obliterated my original C # and gave me a new one???

What do others think? Instructors?

Do you remember (have you ever heard of) the old NASDS TIC (Total Information Card)? Their c-cards had a microfilm in them that had all sorts of med history and relevant info. They even gave you an extra film that you could put into a pendant. I always thought it was a great idea that was under appreciated. It never caught on with the other agencies and they eventually stopped it due to the higher cost.

Out of all that i can think of maybe 4 things that are useful on a card:

Name
Grade
Cert No (if applicable)
Photo

Im not even sure certifying instructor number is worth putting on.

None of the rest of the stuff tells a prospective buddy/dive shop anything useful at all.

The C-Card of the future:

It carries an imbedded CPU and depth sensor. You are expected to carry it on every dive. It samples your depth every 10 seconds, crunches numbers, and stores info on such topics as: have you exceeded your NDL? Did you ascend too fast? The results are compiled into a summary of your diving "style" and, in particular, the degree of risk (in liability terms) which you represent when signing on to a dive boat. If the risk is high, they simply won't take you. Every year, you must upload the data to PADI when you apply for your annual, renewable OWD certification. If your data shows too many violations, the Scuba Police come and ...

There is no LDS info on my PADI OW and AOW cards..
There is however, Name, DOB, Cert. No., Instructors No. and name, and of course a (bad, as on all ID) picture of me..

Mine doesn't have quite as much, but I have an SSI card. Mine has

Name
Diver #
Birthdate
Cert Date But it just says "diving since" and the year in a little oval at the bottom
Instructor #
Instructor name
LDS #
LDS Name
LDS address City, State, and Country
LDS ph # - A little logo off to the side that includes name, phone number and web address
SSI address & Ph #' -VERY tiny at the bottom
Photo
And a stick that tells how many dives were done at the completion of the class.

Ours really aren't too bad. Lots of stuff, but the important info (pic, name, diver #) is bigger than the less important info.

My C-card has

My name
Diver No.
Birthdate
Cert Date
Instr No.
Instr name

and LDS info ( Padi Center #, Name and full adress )

..... and the pic.:confused:

My ol YMCA card says Open Water Scuba Diver and my name, that's all the info anyone needs. Fill my tank, here's my boat fee.

DennisS:
My ol YMCA card says Open Water Scuba Diver and my name, that's all the info anyone needs. Fill my tank, here's my boat fee.
I tend to disagree.. A picture and DOB at the minimum should be required. No picture and no DOB means I can just steal someone elses card and say im John Smith and use their card...

my old military ID card was nothing but green paper in a plastic laminate. Now the new IDs are PVC with an embedded chip which stores every piece of info imginable....all it takes is a scanning machine to read...

Back
Top Bottom