headache problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

night729

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So i was diving in Roatan over X-mas and on my first dive i get a bad headache about halfway through the dive, on a few dives after that it seemed to get worse the deeper i went, up to 100ft. So i talked to the divemaster and he said it was from nitrogen and that using nitrox would help, but didnt have time to do that. Talked to another instructor and he said it was conjestion, although i wasnt conjested. So i ended up loading up on advil in the mornings before dives and it wasnt too bad after that. Then when i got back home i asked my diveshop owner and he said it was bad air, although it seemed like a well run and professional operation. What might be the case here? Thanks for the help in advance.

i get headaches between dives sometimes.
it seems to be related to hydration
when i drink tons of water I don't get the headaches. might work for you

all 3 could of cossed the head ake. Half was throu the first dive, I don't think if was the nitrogen. Conjestion is a good couse and did you have a problum equilising the ears or did you have to clear the ears a lot. Bad air I wont even go there.
I think conjestion and equilising. But I might be rong.

"Nitrogen" isnt going to cause a headache like that.

Congestion is a possibility - even if you dont notice it you could have sinus issues. It could be contaminated air but unlikely.

My bet is CO2 retention either through breathing technique and/or poorly performing regulator.

my 2 cents is CO2 build up and or High blood pressure.
The Valsalva method of clearing can cause your blood pressure to spike.
Do you remember if you had long slow breathing or short choppy breaths? There may have been a little anxiety with it being the first dive of the trip and shallow breathing could lead to the CO2 build up.

a bit quick breathing, but it still occured when my breathing was slow and steady on later dives, and i dont have high blood pressure
as for conjestion, im usually a little stuffy but i can still easily breath out through my nose and i dont feel conjested

It still sounds like classic CO2 to me whether you're aware of it or not.

i reckon 80/20 CO2 to congestion ratio in the probabilities.

What the DM told you is just crap and plain incorrect.

I find diving deep and pushing into currents can cause headaches due to C02 build up, the C02 build up can play havoc with narcosis causing feelings of dread . I avoid currents and exertion at depth, and if encounter currents just go with it.

Ok, are there any good things to remember to prevent or lessen CO2 buildup other than depth and exertion?

night729:
Ok, are there any good things to remember to prevent or lessen CO2 buildup other than depth and exertion?

Just relax take it easy, breath normally, use high performance regs, if it is C02 that should take care of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom