Blue Holes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stepup

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am wondering if anyone knew anything or had heard anything of these fresh water springs. Me and a couple of my buddies were on Abaco Island in the Bahamas and the locals showed us a swimming hole that was probably 50' feet across. The water was very clear and blue. It was absolutely beutiful. We started asking how deep they were and of course the locals all told us they were bottomless. What I am wondering if anyone has ever dove one of these, Known someone that has dove one , Or seen an article where someone did dive them. Thanks in advance.

Didn't you dive it? I would have had a look myself. Sounds like great fun and probably there is a lot of good stuff lost by the locals over the years if it wasn't too deep or already cleaned out by other divers.

I heard about a blue hole (dive site name) in Dahab, Egypt.. never been there though.
but I think the name must have a meaning

So far as I know there is a blue hole in Egypt (I've seen it, but not dove there, although I did dive Sharm for 3 weeks) and there is one in Belize that is pretty awesome as well. Having dove both, I can tell you that the surrounding reefs are generally the thing worth diving, as the hole looks a lot cooler than it is inside (just my opinion!).
Alex

I've been in three of the land-based blue holes in Abaco, and they are spectacular. Some are clear all the way down, and others have a layer of "sulpher". Most are layered, with fresh water above and salt water below. Some of these are extensive cave systems, but a couple look more like sink holes.

Getting to them requires some doing. Some are on private land, and many are surrounded by a "burning bush" that makes poion ivy feel tame. There is a very small caving community there, and they are proud of these holes. All are very advanced dives. On one, we leveled off ~ 115' and looked down at a dropped light that seemed just slightly out of reach. It was at 340'. Very tricky these holes...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom