Iantd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nagel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last July, I completed my open water certification through IANTD (International Association of Nitrox & Technical Diving). Since then I have logged about 20 dives, so by no means am I a "professional diver" let alone a technical diver, that is sometimes "mis-represented" by the IANTD certification, (I'm finding). In discussing my experience with the open water certification process I went through with other divers that got their certification through agencies such as PADI, I would say the process was very similar. Possibly, some of the skills I had to do was a little more intense, but still very comparable. So, I absolutely under no circumstances, never, think of myself as a "technical diver". I don't want to get into the discussion of who is and who isn't a newbie, but I'm a newbie.

The odd thing is that everywhere I have dived, when I present my IANTD C-Card, the person looks at it, turns it over, mulls it over a little and says, "Oh, we have a technical diver with us today". At first, I would say, "oh no, I'm just an average new diver" or something to that extent. This would typically confuse them and turned into an akward moment. Now days, I just take my card back and move on.

I'm just curious, does this happen to anybody else with the IANTD certification? This may seem very anal, but I sometimes get a feeling I'm misrepresenting myself if I don't say anything. In the dives where I have had a Dive Master I absolutely tell them I'm not a technical diver, just a newbie. But, if I'm at a quarry and checking in and the person is not diving with me, I just move on. Again, I'm just curious if this happens with others who have the IANTD certification, because it's getting a little wierd sometimes.

S. Nagel

Don't worry. . . Be Happy! A C-card is a C-card, just the beginning step for diving happiness. You're facing the confusion of having trained with a small organization. . . smaller than PADI, SSI, NAUI and other confusing initials. I sometimes help my local dive store, and have IANTD cards presented for air or rental. . . sometimes the diver is not well trained, and thinks they are more advanced than they are. Sometimes they are very well trained, and are good divers. At the dive shops with rental, we tend to remember the poor ones. Our problem, not yours. A very good choice in continuing your dive education is the advanced open water. . . if you are concerned with what card you carry, get the AOW from another agency, problem solved. As you gain experience, other divers will be able to recognize this experience, and you will be a credit to whatever card you carry.

You don't see a lot of IANTD OW cards in most areas and IANTD is far better known as a technical diving training agency.

Seeing the IANTD OW card probably just catches some people off guard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom