EPIRB personal satellite beacon locator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tonka97

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
McMurdo, Pains Wessex, Fastfind Plus, 406 PLB EPIRB, w/ Internal GPS

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/spwff1.html

"The Fastfind Plus is a revolutionary hand-held Personal Location Beacon that features a built-in GPS receiver (Global Positioning System) combined with a 406 MHz transmitter and 121.5 MHz homing signal. In the event of an emergency, Pains Wessex Fastfind Plus 406 PLB EPIRB w/ Internal GPSan alert signal is transmitted to Cospas-Sarsat satellites and forwarded to a rescue coordination center within typically 3 minutes. The built-in GPS receiver will provide latitude and longitude coordinates to give a position to within typically 98 feet anywhere in the world."

I just ordered a unit, and cannister rated at 400 ft+, and plan to use it with a variety of activities, including motorcycling, diving, and hiking. This technology was not available to the public (FCC rules) until 2003 due to resistance by U.S. Air Force.

With the above offer (see link) the manufacturer will supply batteries for life.

:D

I was looking into the same system. After reading about the latest divers lost incident in the Red Sea (a place where I hope to be diving in a a couple of months) I think it would be prudent to have one. I really can't believe these so called diver's advocate agencies (i.e. padi, naui, ssi, etc), don't make an issue over the fact that hardly any dive ops give these things out to their divers. The only ops that I know of that do are some liveaboards in the Galapagos. It's really not that big of a cost issue and it appears that many lives could be saved as a result of their use. These incidents happen a lot more than most divers are aware, and I"m ashamed to say that I have in the past went on dives without nearly enough safety equipment. From now on it's going to be a dive alert, mirror, safety sausage, strobes, whistle, dye pack, and probably the epirb that you mentioned. I would like to know exactly how they work. Do i need to register it? Are there any yearly fees involved. Is that the best one to get? etc. Any info is appreciated.

Id be scared to the think of the chaos unleashed world wide if every diver decided to own one.

They'd be sifting through 10s of thousands of accidental activations or people setting them off if the boat hadnt picked them up in 20 mins or whatever.

They're a good thing but within limits.

Make sure to check on EPIRBs as to whether they will be usable in the future. I've heard one of the EPIRB systems is shutting down later this year. I don't think it effects all frequencies, but it's been making news locally because even many relatively recent units will become obsolete when it does, they expect a lot of local fishermen will be carrying useless units.

406MHz one will be fine.

String:
Id be scared to the think of the chaos unleashed world wide if every diver decided to own one. They'd be sifting through 10s of thousands of accidental activations or people setting them off if the boat hadnt picked them up in 20 mins or whatever...

I trust divers more than that. I don't think that there was an avalanche of 911 calls when EVERYONE had to get a cellular phone.

If you set off the alarm, my thought is that you should reimburse for the costs of rescue. In any case I'm not about to limit my rescue options because of the possibility that someone else may abuse an emergency system.

:coffee:

tonka97:
I trust divers more than that.

I dont. Ive seen some in action.

Im all for dive guides in high current locations being allocated them but id be very nervous if lots of newly qualified open water divers suddenly started using them.

"Whoops, boat isnt here and ive been up 10 minutes. I'll press this button to get it here fast".

If you set off the alarm, my thought is that you should reimburse for the costs of rescue. In any case I'm not about to limit my rescue options because of the possibility that someone else may abuse an emergency system.

Abuse is a very large fine under current laws.

String:
I dont. Ive seen some in action. Im all for dive guides in high current locations being allocated them but id be very nervous if lots of newly qualified open water divers suddenly started using them. "Whoops, boat isnt here and ive been up 10 minutes. I'll press this button to get it here fast". Abuse is a very large fine under current laws.

Glad there are fines.

I'd rather see 10 false alarms to save the 1 person in need, than 1 person adrift and dying with no alarm capability. (Especially if that 1 person is ME!!)

Back
Top Bottom