Dive Buddies With Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uspap

Contributor
Reaction score
I was curious what your experiences have been. My Buddy and I both have cameras and I have noticed we are becoming less attentive to each other underwater. Out of a 1 hour plus dive we may see each other 10 minutes. I would like to tighten things up a bit but not become a dive nazi. Do you have a designated leader for each dive that decides the dive or do you each do your own thing? What is your protocol for separation? I know the textbook answers. I am looking for what you have found effective. We are both experienced divers but I keep thinking what if something goes wrong and we are busy taking pics while our buddy is having a problem.

I was laughing while I was reading this because I cant tell you how many times I've been taking pictures and I turn around to find my buddy gone. Personally, I think the answer you are looking for depends on diving conditions and the abilities of you and your dive buddy.
When I am diving with my son, I make sure he knows I'm taking a picture, so he won't swim off (i'm more worried about him getting lost). When I'm with my boyfriend, it doesnt matter because we both use alternate air sources and we dive Jersey where you are basically a solo diver anyway.

If you are unsure of your surroundings and want to stay close to your buddy talk about it on shore first. Who is paying attention and at what times. I know how easy it is to get lost in taking pictures. I concentrate on my target and that's it.

I'll leave you with a bit of humor. We were just in the Bahamas diving with the kids and took a ton of pictures. After we returned to the cruise ship for dinner, a photographer was taking professional pictures of families. My boyfriend walked by and mumbled to me that doesnt impress me at all, let's see him photograph fish" Anyone who takes pics underwater knows hard it is....the little buggers just wont stay still :wink:

We not only have cameras but we just added scooters into the mix. Talk about getting separated fast and far.

i consider diving with photographers as a solo dive...they have no idea if & when you get seperated and (as on sundays dive) when they do realize it, they keep on taking shots and hope you turn up :wink:

Sounds like you are solo diving. I guess you should plan your dive accordingly or change the way you dive and improve your communication skills

uspap:
I was curious what your experiences have been. My Buddy and I both have cameras and I have noticed we are becoming less attentive to each other underwater. Out of a 1 hour plus dive we may see each other 10 minutes. I would like to tighten things up a bit but not become a dive nazi. Do you have a designated leader for each dive that decides the dive or do you each do your own thing? What is your protocol for separation? I know the textbook answers. I am looking for what you have found effective. We are both experienced divers but I keep thinking what if something goes wrong and we are busy taking pics while our buddy is having a problem.

You're discovering how easy it is to get wrapped up in underwater photography. One solution is to agree that the two of you will really concentrate on observing and taking photographs in a small area - close to one another all the time and no more than a glance apart. It's often very productive to examine an area really closely and to allow creatures to come to you, rather than chasing around the reef after them...

Almitywife
Amen to that. I'm sure I'm guilty of it as well. I joke with my buddy and say that if I should drown at least it will be well documented.

We're working on the communication and it continues to evolve.

I like the idea of being a glance apart.

There is a simple solution I have a couple of buddies who are great at finding things in the weirdest of places so there usualy ahead of me as I stop to shoot they go on ahead and find all the good stuff and wave me over it works for us.

If I am doing a dive just to take photos then I dive solo.

uspap:
We are not seeing enough on your profile to know much.

SO, I hope you have been diving long enough, have enough experience and have the mindset to be a solo diver because that is what you are, buddy or not.

Do you pay as much attention to your diving as you do the photography? If not pagers might be going off for you someday. :wink:

It's tough being a photographer and dive nazi at the same time.

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom