A Question that Really Happened

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
A group of certified cave divers with proper equipment check out the key to the gate at Vortex. They enter the water with more gas than a hippo on broccoli and arrive at the gate.

There are a group of yahoos in the large room most standing upright and kicking up silt. There is one diver who appears to be a juvenile and is very apprehensive. The group just hangs around.

The question is – If the equipped and certified cave divers want to unlock the gate and continue to their objective (the second restriction) with the unsupervised yahoos present - should they:

• Unlock the gate and continue – leaving trust to the untrained…
  • Abort the dive and try later …
  • Leave one certified cave diver to guard the gate and the rest continue…
  • Drop back ten and punt…

Tell them to leave and point at the silt. (point, look stern, make fingers go No-no...and then point at them and to the horizon) Chances are they will eagerly leave. I run people off a lot, it's easy. Mostly from wrecks when they insist on walking around.

see what they do.

act like you are the boss and in charge of this site. politely of course.

I would leave the one diver IF it was under 60-70 ft and the viz good, otherwise just run the other divers off and don't dive the cave until they are gone.

I guess a fresh batch of new ones is a distinct possibility. Guard the gate in twos? Practice some other stuff there.

dive_lover88:
Leave one certified cave diver to guard the gate and the rest continue…

The cave diver tank/s would out last the other grp of yahoos...

I cant believe you would even ask this question, and the first response is even more ridiculous. What do you think you should do? Jees.....

The only thing I know about cave diving is that I'm NOT qualified.. My vote would be to:
Leave one certified cave diver to guard the gate and the rest continue…

Or abort the dive.

No way those yahoos aren't going to take a peek, ya know to just look inside a little, not too far or anything, just enough to see what all the fuss is about.

m sorry but this is silly. What exactly do you want the solo diver to do at the gate? pull out his diving knife and guard the enterence? Abort the dive, report the idiots to the management or call local authorities. Would you like to be the guy whos put in charge of fending off a bunch of idiots, underwater at the enterence to a cave???

well, I do it with parking spaces in LA without a weapon. Venice too!

so..you are afraid they would pass the guard(s)?

I doubt it. Unless this is in bubba land.

Seriously...you have to work out territorial issues with strangers all the time in diving. The buoy, a cavern, wrecks covered with tourist divers....this is not unusual and we don't usually ever abort dives. You have to work it out with sign language.

Yea i'm no cave diver, but if you just completed the dive you run the risk of being stuck behind one of their dead dumbasses on the way out.

catherine96821:
Tell them to leave and point at the silt. (point, look stern, make fingers go No-no...and then point at them and to the horizon) Chances are they will eagerly leave. I run people off a lot, it's easy. Mostly from wrecks when they insist on walking around.

see what they do.

act like you are the boss and in charge of this site. politely of course.

I would leave the one diver IF it was under 60-70 ft and the viz good, otherwise just run the other divers off and don't dive the cave until they are gone.

I guess a fresh batch of new ones is a distict possibility. Guard the gate in twos? Practice some other stuff there.
Don't mess with Catherine, I've seen her do the no-no to people(whom desperately needed the no-no).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom