Scuba Pond

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nagel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just a curious question - Not even sure if it is relavent here, but just something I was thinking....

I have a pond that is currently stocked with a variety of fish - nothing huge. Years ago, I would fish the pond, but I'm not really into fishing much anymore. So, something that bounces around in my brain from time to time is what would I have to do to convert this into a place to dive. Obviously, nothing elaborate and nothing I would open up to make money at, maybe a couple friends from time to time.

I'm thinking I would have to drain the pond and transfer the fish maybe to somebody elses pond or try and keep some to put back. Maybe dig out a little and line with gravel, rock, or sand. I would possibly need to put a fountain or something to airate the water a little better.

What's your thoughts? Is this doable? Would lining with gravel or rack be the trick to keep it clear? Maybe some dreaded zebra mussells?

Again, just a pipe dream, but I'm curious if it would actually work.

S. Nagel

. . . and buy a LOOOOOOOOTTTTTTT of insurance !!!

the K

nagel:
Just a curious question - Not even sure if it is relavent here, but just something I was thinking....

I have a pond that is currently stocked with a variety of fish - nothing huge. Years ago, I would fish the pond, but I'm not really into fishing much anymore. So, something that bounces around in my brain from time to time is what would I have to do to convert this into a place to dive. Obviously, nothing elaborate and nothing I would open up to make money at, maybe a couple friends from time to time.

I'm thinking I would have to drain the pond and transfer the fish maybe to somebody elses pond or try and keep some to put back. Maybe dig out a little and line with gravel, rock, or sand. I would possibly need to put a fountain or something to airate the water a little better.

What's your thoughts? Is this doable? Would lining with gravel or rack be the trick to keep it clear? Maybe some dreaded zebra mussells?

Again, just a pipe dream, but I'm curious if it would actually work.

S. Nagel
You might want to avoid the Zebra mussels, they are not fun to play with. But getting clear water should be somewhat easy.. doubt you would make money... but one never knows.

But, please, if you do consider this, look into the liability aspects.

the K

The Kraken:
But, please, if you do consider this, look into the liability aspects.

the K

It's liable to be a pain in the butt to get to stay clear
It's liable to be shallow
It's liable to be very cold in the winter and decent in the summer
It's liable to be wet.

Alot would depend on how the pond is fed. If you are receiving runoff, you probably would always have vis. problems. I built a 5 acre lake, 25 foot deep along an 700 foot levee, 25 feet from my back door. 3 feet down is pitch black. The lake is 6 years old, but is also a clay bottom, receives runoff from 100 or so acres around. Cow manure, horse manure, silt, etc. flow into it from an easterly direction year round. About the time it starts to clear, a thunder storm exes it out again.

Liability would be about $2080.00 a year from Vinecia and Buckly if I recall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom