What should one do in this situation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taliesin58

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have recently started diving, but on vacation to SE Asia, I managed to get plenty of dives (35 dives) in 3 weeks.
During one of my last dives, I went one a trip with a group out of Phuket. There were two british guys in the group and two swedish guys. I had the least experience of the group.
The brits were fine, but the dive master and swedish guys were horrible. The divermaster basiclly ignored the rest of us, and I noticed him kicking the coral a good bit and his tank banger (a metal rod) was dragging against the coral for most of the time.
The Swedes were even worse. They had no bouyancy control (at one point (because of depth change) one of the guys became slightly negative. So, he pumps tons of air into his bc and rockets off from 25m. I grab him, pull his dump valve and drag him back down.) They were touching the coral like crazy. And their equipment was dragging. One guy's octo got snagged on a piece of coral and he just yanked it and snapped off the piece. At that point, I went over, fixed his octo and threaded his gauges through his bc (I pass mine through the space between the cumberbund and the buckle that goes over that).
The DM noticed none of these things.

I felt very rude for doing what I did, but I still feel that it wasn't enough. I had trouble complaining because how to i ***** to the captain about the DM that has worked with him for ages and divers with twice the experience I have. Should I have done more, less, exactly what I did?
I will be doing much more diving on vacations with dive buddies I don't know, so I have a feeling I will run into more people like this. So, I want to know for future reference.

I would do what you did, and possibly more. I'm a confrontational person though.

You did a good job. Inconsiderate idoits like that need to be reminded on how to dive w/o destroying the enviroment so the rest of us can enjoy it some time in the future. BTW you probably saved that guy from getting DCS IMO. Keep up the good work & have fun diving.

John

I go through life hoping nature will weed some people out. Seems that you have prevented a possible weeding out session.

These type of dive ops (at least in Phuket) have a typical heirarchy, and if you want your complaints to be heard, you need to address the right people. The DM's run under the direction of a tour leader (usually the one that gives the dive briefing), and the tour leader works directly for the dive company (the place that your dive was booked with). The DM's have no relationship with the boat, and the captains often have no relationship (other than being an employee) with the dive op. Generally the captains have no concerns other than general boat operations and boat safety, and don't get much into how the dives are run. Many of the divers are "resort" divers with little (or at least little current) experience.

I understand what you did. I cringe when I see coral being abused. I honestly think some people don't understand that coral is an animal, and think it is just plants that will grow back tomorrow. I wish that a large percent of info for certification would be about not touching coral with anything. But, even on dive boats, they seem to skim over that or say it in rote like it doesn't really matter.

Thanks, actually, when I meant tour leader instead of captain.
If I had more experience, I think I would have complained more, but I felt that I couldn't do that because I only have a little experience.

Sounds like you did it about right.

I've tucked a few octos in when I've seen them dragging. I remember being on a boat last year, actually on the bus out to the boat these two guys were talking about how they liked their octos hanging free so they were easier to grab and read. They kept bragging about how many dives they had and one of them told anyone who would listen that he is a public safety diver back home.

Needless to say, they were really lousy divers; very inconsiderate and sloppy.

You did good.

Jeff

jtoorish:
I remember being on a boat last year, actually on the bus out to the boat these two guys were talking about how they liked their octos hanging free so they were easier to grab and read.
Jeff

What were they reading on their octopus regulators? :D
"Sherwood"
"Sherwood"
"Daggone thing is STILL a Sherwood, the LDS PROMISED it would turn into a Scubapro." LOL!

Taliesin58, just because you're a new diver doesn't mean you can't point things out and you did well. You just have to be diplomatic about it. Generally if you take the lead the less experienced will follow your example. The number of divers out there who are just looking for someone to show them what they should do or where they should go is astounding.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom