In the pursuit of 'trimness'.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulVS

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking of making a couple conversions to my equipment since I really dislike the left-underarm gauges & right-underarm octo setup.

So I thought I could:

1. Remove my standard octo, and get a BCD hose octo (Oceanic Air XS II)
2. Change over my Veo 100 computer from a console to a wrist band.
3. Have the air pressure gauge hose go over my left shoulder and velcro-strap it to the BCD hose.

Any inherent problems here?

TIA

PaulVS:

PaulVS:
Personally, I don't like the BCD inflator-integrated regulators, but it would probably be fine if you like that sort of thing. There are plenty of other threads on scubaboard about pros and cons. It would definately eliminate the underarm hose routing, but you might want to look at other alternatives like a bungied backup.
PaulVS:
I moved all my instruments to my wrists, except for a simple SPG. I think you'll be happy with the change once you get used to it.
PaulVS:
3. Have the air pressure gauge hose go over my left shoulder and velcro-strap it to the BCD hose.
I've done this myself, and it works okay. I use a stainless steel bolt snap to clip it to a D-ring when I do it, but the idea's similar.

PaulVS:
I'm thinking of making a couple conversions to my equipment since I really dislike the left-underarm gauges & right-underarm octo setup.

So I thought I could:

TIA
Does any of that have to do with trim? How about streamlining :wink:

1. I don't like those, but if it works for you, optionally you can get a shorter octo hose (22") and put it on a necklace routed over the right shoulder.
2. Great move IMO, I moved to wrist mount and wouldn't have it any other way.
3. I have no comment, never tried it, but heard of others who have and it works for them, you'll be able to get a much shorter hose too! If you do #2, then a single solitary spg routed under your left arm may not bother you.

~Garrett

I have my octo on my left hand side (so its the correct way up when presenting to an OOA diver.

As for wrist vs console, no contest. WRIST!

You can read it without needing hands to move the console even if both hands are full with reel/smb/lifting a diver. It doesnt bang into rocks or get hit getting onto boats.

I really dislike AIR-2 and similar setups for backup but thats just a personal thing.

MSilvia:
I moved all my instruments to my wrists, except for a simple SPG. I think you'll be happy with the change once you get used to it.

I may not be experienced enough to comment here, and I am in favour of using computers and have one myself, but for me I would prefer to have at least two instruments able to read depth. If the set comes with a depth gauge as well as SPG I would happily use my computer entirely, but if that fails (unlikely admittedly) at least then I have another backup to do any mandatory stops. I may be over-anxious here but I wouldn't want to be stranded if my computer went. Having things on the wrists is more comfortable in terms of access though.

By the way, for me my SPG hose isn't long enough to go around my head so I tuck it into my pinch-clip on my BCD over the Cummerbund, so that its there just my looking down.

Well I dont know your diving style, or who you dive with, but there are certainly factors that can make you buddyless either solo diving, or an instabuddy. So a nice way of having the backup depth gauge is a gauge that is built into a diving watch (doesnt have to be an expensive one) and that will be wrist mounted as well as your computer. Now you have two bottom timers, and two depth gauges the way it should be.

Trimming off some fat as it were is a good thing.

1- I would avoid this. Get a shorter hose and get a necklace . This secures the Octo to your neck and will not dangle around. Easily reached in the event of an OOA.

2- GOOD move. on the wrist and out of the way.

3-..Get a shorter hose for this 18 inches or so..even a small SPG if possible. Slim in design and lighter weight.

Aside from that. avoid the inflator /octo combination. Reason being is. In the event of an OOA how do you vent your BC??? and also if the Hose springs a leak your octo becomes usless to a degree.

it is best to have the Octo separte from your inflator hose.

aside from that..go dive.

Stephen

Penguinboy:
...) at least then I have another backup to do any mandatory stops. ...

Why would you at this point in your diving be in a situation where you are needing to do mandatory stops?

:)

Chances of losing both your buddy (with a working depth gauge) and having your depth gauge fail, while in a situation where you need to do mandatory (i.e. deco) stops... that's a situation you should not be anywhere near to when starting out diving :)

Just my $0.02

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom