Spare Air-- travel problems???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver 85

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Used to have Spare Air(over 10 yrs ago) as my back up air source & to make a long story short, lost it...Went to octopus system & am now thinking about ordering another Spare Air....My question is(wife thinks it will be a problem) are divers having any problems traveling(flying) with them these days??..With the commercial jet industry having soooo many restrictions these days, I'm starting to think along her lines ie flying restrictions.....Thinking I would have to empty cylinder & pack in suitcase as check-in luggage.........Also, IF I would purchase one, what's the best place -price wise- to get one....Best I've found is a 3.0 for $193/free shipping @ Diver's Supply....Thanks in advance, all & any help would be greatly appreciated.......Joe

Talking about Spare Air, in here, will be way rougher than flying with it.

But...I did buy one myself once. I was overcome with the need to shop at DEMA and that was all there was for sale. Actually, you can have it...pM me your address. Never used. I was going to put in my nightstand in case the smoke alarms failed. I am trying to get rid of anything extra this year.

You know...they say the regs are junk. I flew with it...back from Houston, just has to be empty.

catherine, ygpm.....Joe

whew...saved you from the spare air debate. close call.

Nice one honey...:wink:

Wrap it in red tape and put some string on the end. That should keep it from getting TSA's attention. Put it right next to 6oz of hand cream that isn't in a Zip Loc baggie. :D

Gary D.

Spare Air sells a cute little travel kit fot the unit. You take the regulator assembly off of the tank. There is a plug for the tank an a replacement oring all in a clear carrying case. You shouldn't have any trouble carrying in checked luggage.

Joe

I have a 6 cf H2odessey unit and have made many trips with it. I always carry the bottle sans regulator in my carry-on. I put a standard pipe plug loosely in the end, have a copy of the TSA reg. concerning scuba bottles wrapped about it, and put the entire thing in a clear plastic bag.

As I'm going through the security line, I remove the bag with the bottle and have it scanned separately. About 25% of the time, TSA will ask to look inside. Most of the time it goes through without any problem. If I leave it in my carry-on, it always gets pulled for a check.

I always pack the H2odessey reg. with my checked dive bag. My normal reg. goes in my carry-on as most people do.

The TSA reg. is available on their web site.

Put it right next to 6oz of hand cream that isn't in a Zip Loc baggie.

GOOD ONE GARY!

wow...Dennis, look at all these closet spare air people!

I just hope the terrorists don't see Gary's tip. We would be doomed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom