Dive location choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trey915

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a fairly new diver (AOW, but with only 25 dives) and have a VERY limited budget. The reason I say this is because I finally convinced my wife to allow me to do a blue water dive (this will be my first). Due to costs and time and everything, I have 2 choices and am not sure which is the better choice. The first is to go out of Ft. Lauderdale, FL on a boat ride to Bimini Bahamas for 3 days (approx. 7 dives). We would be staying in a house or cabin. The other choice is to go to the Flower Gardens on the Spree. It is a 2 day, but is also about 7 dives. I am not sure which one is better suited to my abilities, but also which one offers more to see. Any insight or suggestions from any of you is greatly appreciated.

I haven't dove the bahamas or flower gardens, but being in Dallas you have huge options out there on a tight budget. Belize especially can be a cheap hop out of Dallas through American. Given the options you outlined, I would do the three day trip and watch for opportunities to squeeze in another dive or three. Whichever way, have a great time and be safe.

There is some great diving around Bimini, a couple of "wrecks", shallow 25+ to wall dives deeper than a single tank breathing human can go.
And a great bar "The End of the World" to bad the "Compleat Angler" burnt down.

Never been to the Flower Gardens. But would go back to Bimini anytime and I worked there.

Just to add one more choice, you can get some great deals out of Dallas on Funjet to Cozumel. A long weekend to Coz wouldn't cost much more, if any, than a trip to the Flower Gardens after figuring in the gas to get down there, time spent driving, etc., and Coz's diving is outstanding.

I've never been to Bimini, but there are nicer places out there than the bahamas. Being that you're in Dallas you are a quick plane ride away from alot of great places. Belize i've heard is fantastic, and from what I've heard you should really think about Bonaire. You'll get more diving in there, because the actual diving will cost you less (shore diving as opposed to charter boat).

Firefyter:
Just to add one more choice, you can get some great deals out of Dallas on Funjet to Cozumel. A long weekend to Coz wouldn't cost much more, if any, than a trip to the Flower Gardens after figuring in the gas to get down there, time spent driving, etc., and Coz's diving is outstanding.

Agree with this, I dove Coz and it was great... nightlife is pretty good too.

Let me add a little bit of extra here. I am looking at less than $400 for either option including lodging, diving, meals, etc. Flower Gardens is not an issue because I don't pay for the gas to get there. The other options you guys mentioned are awesome, but will run quite a bit more than the $400 budget I have. The air to Ft Lauderdale is also free with frequent flyer miles.

Have you thought about maybe diving in Key Largo? Pennekamp national marine park has some of the most beautiful reefs you can dive.

Good suggestions above - I'd second the Keys (no passport needed), Cozumel and the Bahamas (either Grand Bahamas or New Providence) - they all have a wide variety of dive sites, including good ones for newer divers. The key is to look for deals on air tickets and if you can fly out of other airports such as Houston, which has daily flights to Cozumel, the better. Another option is Blackbeard's liveaboard (note: it's spartan, like camping at sea). They have 3 weekend trips leaving out of Freeport at $599 this year.
I haven't done the Flower Gardens, but it may be too deep (>100 ft or more) for a newer diver and you might not have much flexibility on your dive profiles (all/most dive sites are deep). Also, weather conditions can be very erratic in the gulf - one moment it's sunny and calm and half hour later stormy and turbulent.
Good luck and dive safely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom